Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I am new to Linux and have never played around with it, and I really want to try it. I have two versions of Linux, Xandros and Mandriva, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandriva on a blank HDD

Hi all.

I am new to Linux and have never played around with it, and I really want to try it. I have two versions of Linux, Xandros and Mandriva, and Xandros won't load onto my computer. It loads all the initial files fine, but then when the screen changes and it should start to install, it just goes black. Now I am thinking that it might be because I am using Serial ATA for the the HDD. The version of Mandriva that I have is 2008 One and I haven't tried to load it onto my HDD for the main reason being that I don't know how to make a CD with Mandriva so that it will boot onto my HDD.

So essentially I have two questions for this case. Q1: Will Xandros and Mandriva not load because I am using a Serial ATA for my HDD? And Q2: How do I make a CD of Mandriva so that I can Install it onto my blank HDD?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Here's a good HowTo for making sure you properly download and burn the ISO file to the blank CD:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html

It covers the proper way to boot from the CD, too.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks much! I will give it a shot and update you. Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    I successfully burned the copy of Mandriva onto the disc and even booted it up. But when I went to go and install it I wasn't sure how to dual boot with Windows XP. So if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've not installed Mandriva in the last few years. In fact, it was still called Mandrake when I ran it last, but there should be an option during the installation routine to choose to dual-boot. It will be toward near the end of the installation.

At that point, it will ask you if you want it to write GRUB (or LILO if it still uses that) to the master boot record (MBR). You should answer yes, and after it's done and you reboot, you should see a menu allowing you to choose between Windows and Linux.

Just be sure during the partitioning part of the installation, you don't allow the installer to use the entire drive for the Linux system. If you do that, bye-bye Windows.

Have fun with your installation project.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was going to be that simple, seeing as most of the things that I have read on Linux and it various distros, seem pretty complicated.