Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please help me howto make my modem work and access the internet with Mandrake 10. I`m a Linux rookie, just want to get rid of Windows Xp, but without internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modem installation - help

Please help me howto make my modem work and access the internet with Mandrake 10. I`m a Linux rookie, just want to get rid of Windows Xp, but without internet access, I can`t.
    I have 3Com 3CP2977 modem. I downloaded its Linux driver from the US Robotics website, and installed it. But the Mandrake itself also recognized the modem. As far as I know it is on ttS2 (Com3).
    I would like to use AOL, and I had problem with the PengAol installation.
    I could install the peng1.05.tar, and could setup the username, but I`m not sure about how to change the Pengaol.conf file. The QTkylix installation didn`t work for me, though I followed the steps given by the Soundforge website.
    If somebody help me, I`d really appretiate.
    Vico

unless you have a profound need to use aol, your relly better off looking at isp's,. you can run a search on your drive if you know the name of teh conf file that you need. many conf files have such detailed commenting that trial and error will help you get throuhg it all.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

modem not connected

Thanks for reply qub333!!
    I tried to use other ISP, where it`s not required third party software download to run the internet. And during setup I realized that the message is in Xdrake or Hardrake (?), is still : "not connected", so far the modem. Though Mandrake shows the modem parameters. But under Windows, the 3CP2977 modem is working fine, "untouched" with the same ISP.
    What can I do to make the modem "connected" using Mandrake 10.0 official (download version)?

Can I get some help please?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Unless your having free aol i would look at other cariers because for about 10 more a month you can get cable 15$ more for dsl. My $0.02 worth not gonna solve your modem problem as much as bypass it.