Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so I've known of a Unix based operating system called Linux for quite some time now. and I recently found the option to boot it from Live CD. the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Help please, I have a situation

ok, so I've known of a Unix based operating system called Linux for quite some time now. and I recently found the option to boot it from Live CD. the distribution I downloaded was Mandriva Linux 2008.
    but, there is one problem....
    for starters, I reboot my computer, which runs on Windows XP professional, with the live CD in, and I begin to use this OS.
    then, I decide to go for what is called a Live Install(which I now regard as a mistake without the help of my father, who is the network administrator for our household network) and it says that I must repartition my Hard drive.(which I knew nothing about at the time, making me feel VERY VERY stupid). so, going in blind, I decide to repartition, and when I save the changes, it formats my WHOLE ENTIRE HARD DRIVE. now my computer will only boot to Mandriva Linux 2008, and will only do so with the Live CD inside the D: drive. I need someones help with this frusturating problem. I need my XP back,though I would like to keep both operating systems. and would like to have the option to use both.
    so, in a nutshell, my windows is gone, and when I boot up my PC without the Live CD inside the D: drive, it gives me an error labled: error 15.
    so please help, someone. I have intermediate computer knowledge, just not with Linux.

thank you for your time.

-scott

Hi and Welcome !

Boot up from LiveCD and open Terminal/Konsole. Execute this
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    * -l, its small L.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First