Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Mandriva 2008 free & I'm new to linux..... Can anyone tell me "how to deactive Failsafe mode ?" so that no one can change my root password Thanx ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Failsafe deactivation

I'm using Mandriva 2008 free & I'm new to linux.....

Can anyone tell me "how to deactive Failsafe mode ?" so that no one can change my root password

Thanx in advance.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Its probably difficult if not impossible to do. As long as one can edit the boot loader menu or boot using a live cd or usb distro, they can access the installation and change the root password.

Just Joined!
    So, Is there anyway to hide it Or is there a way so that my root password is safe from others

Quote Originally Posted by yo_linux View Post
    I'm using Mandriva 2008 free & I'm new to linux.....

Can anyone tell me "how to deactive Failsafe mode ?" so that no one can change my root password

Thanx in advance.
    You might find this useful to prevent easy access Security - GNU GRUB Manual 0.97. You should be able to password protect BIOS and set boot order to boot from HD before CD or USB. Restrict physical access to the machine if you can, just about all security measures can be defeated with physical access to the machine and enough time - this applies to all operating systems.