Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello group, i am new to Linux as i 've been under the spell of M$ for many years like others. Anyway, i am running Mandriva on one of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie, install downloaded program

Hello group, i am new to Linux as i 've been under the spell of M$ for many years like others. Anyway, i am running Mandriva on one of my desktop PC's, how do i install AVG Antivirus after downloading? thanks for your help. cheers and beers to all!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Are you going to be sharing files with windows users or running a mail server? If not then you do not need antivirus because Linux is not affected by viruses in the same way as Windows.

Hello - how you install depends on what you downloaded. If it was source code you need to become root and do:

./configure
    make
    make install

I don't recommend that for AVG antivirus. I seem to remember running into problems when I tried that at home!

It would be better to set up some software repositories for Mandriva and to use urpmi. This is useful for that: Easy Urpmi .

Then all you do is become root and run: urpmi avgvirus (or something similar: it depends on what the software is called in the repository).

Many people who just use Linux (I mean people who don't dual boot) avoid using AVG. After all, Linux distros aren't prone to many viruses. On the other hand, there's a risk of passing them on to Window's machines. Rootkit Hunter is also very good.

Sorry daark.child: dual post.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

installing software

Thank you fingal and daark child. Good info from both of you. Cheers and beers.