Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have windows installed in my PC. Recently i installed linux Mandrake (im new to linux) and after that, i cant boot with windows again.. my lilo.conf file look something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with LILO. Windows dont boot

I have windows installed in my PC. Recently i installed linux Mandrake (im new to linux) and after that, i cant boot with windows again.. my lilo.conf file look something like this:

boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    default="linux"
    keytable=/boot/br-abnt2.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda5
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
    vga=788
    read-only
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="windows"
    other=/dev/fd0
    label="floppy"
    unsafe

Windows is installed in hda1.
    I ran lilo after save lilo.conf

What should i do to boot from windows again?

Just Joined!

windows boot

Hi!

I`m a new Linux user, but a couple of days ago I had a similar problem. Though I did a big mistake: I installed both operation systems (Windowsa and Linux ) to one harddrive, then deleted one of them! I got the message that : Error loading operation system. Lesson: Never set up two different operation systems on one harddrive!
    Whatever I did after that, I couldn`t make my windows run again inspite of several formatting and partitioning.

Finally, I got a software on a floppy: PowerMax . It is OK only for Maxtor harddrives. If you have Maxtor HD, download it free from the Maxtor homepage. If you run the "low level formatting" option, it may take a couple of hours to make your drive "like new". Of course, you will lose all your data on the HD. But, you will be able to mess it up again the way you like!
    Vico

umm... ok, you definetly can have 2 os' on the same hd, you just have to have separate partitons. reguardless i dont know lilo well, so i could be entirely wrong, and backup as much data as possibly befor treing is, but you might want to comment out that read only line, but what is teh exact error/point that your computer fails to boot windows?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Seattle, WA or Lewisburg, PA. Depending on time of year.
    I don't knkow if this will help, but here's the appropriate parts of my lilo.conf file:
    Code:
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="windows"
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
            label="linux"
            root=/dev/hda6
            initrd=/boot/initrd.img
            append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 plash=silent"
            vga=788
            read-only
    other=/dev/hda2
            label="windows"
    The only time you can boot back into windows is when rebooting the computer. It should automatically start eh lilo chooser, and you'll be able to choose which os you want to run... I don't really know why i posted my lilo.conf, I guess just to say that it seems that the "read-only" part is okay in there.

Linux Newbie
    if you are running a windows version that runs with the nt kernel, i have heard that it can give grief if the nt loader is not on the mbr. a possibility would be to look into how to use the ntldr to load your linux partition. basically, just install lilo to /boot and just add another option to the ntldr menu that points the ntldr to the boot sector of that partition.

the read-only line should not be causing any problems since it is located in the linux section, and not the windows section. a word of advice, try to output lines of code in a more logical manner so that it more clear to everyone, ex. tabbing and spaces.

Just Joined!

Similar Problem

I just posted a topic regarding this same problem, However mine are on two seperate hard drives and whenever I try to boot to the one that only has Windows on it, it says in the BIOS L 99 99 99 99 99 99... and the 9's go one. However when I boot from within LILO I get the you did not shutdown properly screen and the options of how to boot. Yet none of these actually boots up windows anymore and safemode stalls loading the driver mup.sys.