Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, please help me i am using mandriva linux 2008 and i wish to install this driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/...tdi_sio.tar.gz I will then need to know how to use the serial cable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help - Linux Noob - Installing driver and using serial cable

Hi, please help me i am using mandriva linux 2008 and i wish to install this driver:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/...tdi_sio.tar.gz

I will then need to know how to use the serial cable (in windows i would simply connect it, open putty and then select the com port and click open).

thanks,
    james

Just Joined!
    Please someone, i really need some help, this is the first time i have used linux and as you know it is completely different to windows. When it comes to windows i know alot but with linux i know nothing at all.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jameselder232 View Post
    Please someone, i really need some help, this is the first time i have used linux and as you know it is completely different to windows. When it comes to windows i know alot but with linux i know nothing at all.
    Welcome to the forums!

Please try to be more patient... this is a forum, not an instant messaging service. Answers here can come in minutes, but it often takes hours, days, weeks, or months, and sometimes answers don't come at all if no one knows the answer.

Here's a HowTo you can follow (post #2) for installing software under Linux. If that doesn't work, you might be able to decompress the file and find installation instructions inside one of the files. Also, hardware/software vendors sometimes put installation instructions on their website if they supplied the drivers.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi, i have looked inside the files and there are no instructions for installing it. Also on the website there are no instructions for installing it. Will check out the guide you linked to,

Thanks for your help,
    james

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jameselder232 View Post
    Hi, i have looked inside the files and there are no instructions for installing it. Also on the website there are no instructions for installing it.
    That's odd because when I looked on their website just now, there was a ReadMe file there giving detailed instructions on how to install it:

Instructions to install new driver

You may require the sources matching the current kernel to be installed on your system (and built).
    There are many helpfull websites that can assist you with this step and it isnt as daunting as you first think!
    Try The Very Verbose Guide to Updating and Compiling Your Debian Kernel as a first step if the link is still available.

To install the ftdi_sio driver use the following steps:

1. Create a temporary folder in your linux machine.
    2. Extract the files from ftdi_sio.tar.gz file to your temporary folder
    "gunzip ftdi_sio.tar.gz"
    "tar -xvf ftdi_sio.tar"
    3. Build the driver
    "make"
    4. Plug in your ftdi device
    5. Check to see if default driver was loaded
    "lsmod" - you will see ftdi_sio if a driver is loaded
    6. Remove the default installed driver
    "rmmod ftdi_sio"
    7. Install the newly built driver
    "insmod ftdi_sio.o"

NOTES:
    1.This driver was adapted from the 2.4.32 kernel to support both the 2232C and 232R chip
    2.There is no need to follow this procedure if you want 232R chip supprt. The 232BM driver will
    be sufficient.Changes made to the driver for the 232R chip are purly cosmetic (plug/unplug will appear as a 232R chip in
    the kernel log).
    Hope the installation works out well for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi, thanks for the info but i did see that readme guide, however it was talking about different kernels etc, and i thought its easier to just ask someone that knows as surely the process is simple and the same for most drivers? Also once you have unzipped to the temporary directory, it says run the make command, but does this command require any variables? i take it i have to cd to the temporary directory before hand. Please can you just explain the method in a bit more detail, i appreciate your help,

james