Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install mandrake 9.1 on an old powerpc(mac) and am downloading teh iso's now, but i cannot seem to figure out how to access the BIOS on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

9.1 ppc BIOS

I want to install mandrake 9.1 on an old powerpc(mac) and am downloading teh iso's now, but i cannot seem to figure out how to access the BIOS on a mac....reguardless will a mac boot from a CD buy default? I put an old bootable redhat disk in there and no such luck, so far searches have found next to nothing. I have read about somethign called bootx, but it makes no sense, and doesnt seem to do what i need to.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    First, from all I've read, if there is a bios on PPC architechture, I don't think it's human interfacable. At least not in the way a bios on a pc is.
    Second, an old RedHat disk shouldn't boot on a Mac. Again, diff arch's.
    Last, the trick to booting a Mac from a cd is one of the buttons on the keyboard. I'm not sure which key it is but you press it while booting.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

yeah, as i read manuals, in 'new world' macs you hold teh 'c' key, but this one is big time old school. its odd, ive now gotten linux to boot, it loads teh installer, but then says it cannot find the cd when i select that as an installation method.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Old world Macintosh

qub 333, did you find an answer for your issue.
    Mine is similiar toyours:

Hi, Trying to install Mandrake 9.1 on an old world Mac which was runing YellowDog 3.01 before ( I like Mandrake better). I start with BootX and get to select the source for installation. I get the error message the no CDROM is found: Matshita CR-174. Then it sends me to select the CDROm manually. I tried mesh or the other one for old world or external cdrom. Then I get to the screen where it asks me for Kernel options. whatever I put in (for example ramdisk_size=4000)I get the error: Insmod failed. Any suggestion.
    Regards,
    --jh