Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i actually do not have a connection at present.so i usually download files somewhere else and then transport them to my system.so i am having a problem downloading software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

software

hi i actually do not have a connection at present.so i usually download files somewhere else and then transport them to my system.so i am having a problem downloading software as one or the other dependencies (eg. libmad-devel)is always missing.what should i do?

That won't be easy for you. But if you're not able to connect to the internet, I'll tell you a strategy could work:
    If you're downloading applications one by one (Windows philosophy) do it from RPM Bone Search choosing the correct version of OS. When you're searching for a package you'll find also the list of dependencies, so download them all too. In most cases that will help you. This strategy is not so funny but it's better than downloading 1 by 1.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

that strategy is very tough considering that some dependencies have a long list of dependencies of their own try the tar packages i get less dependency errors also if i'm not mistaken try this while installing rpms install them while your mandriva disc is inside your drive (i'm not entirely sure about this) but i think while you are installing the installer searches your drive somebody correct me if i'm wrong .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Of course, you should have your installation's DVD into the drive (or if you're lucky during the installation's process you've copied all the packages to HD so you don't need DVD anymore). I told you that this strategy is painful.
    Something better, but also not so easy:
    Download all the packages from Mandriva repository.
    You can do it with Easy Urpmi, to find the FTP servers, and httrack for copying the content of the webpage (or a folder with RPMs). It could work.
    The best is if you can hook up your PC to the internet, but BE CAREFUL!
    Mandriva by default keeps no packages after their installation via urpmi command.
    Linux Usert#430188

glad to know i was right about the dvd .getting your box online is the best thing you can do

Just Joined!

thanks

Thanks for all your help guys......I think the logical conclusion is getting my machine on the net.....but till i dont have that ill have to manage somehow....

This is just a last remark: for the complete mirroring of on-line RPM repository use gftp instead of httrack. The latter is a piece of junk, the former works fine. I've just tested it!
    Linux Usert#430188