Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I hope you don't think I am hi jacking this thread, but its the only topic I have found pertaining to my problem, so I thought i could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

want to install Mandriva over Ubuntu

Hi guys,

I hope you don't think I am hi jacking this thread, but its the only topic I have found pertaining to my problem, so I thought i could keep it alive a little longer.

As per redredred, I want to install Mandriva over Ubuntu. I am new to linux and to wean myself onto it, I have it dual booted on my Vista machine.

Mandriva disk goes in,(this is the second copy I've downloaded in case the disk was my problem, it is not), I am given no options, it "BOOTS" mandriva from the start. I was a little suprised at this as Ubuntu gave me options.

It stops to tell me I have an issue with my video card, quick fix. I change the resolution and on we go. I set up language, keyboard, time zone, and then It brings me to a log on screen. I press enter without entering anything, it prompts me for name and password. I enter name and password I had configured for Ubuntu. I thought maybe the two were talking to each other. No go, nothing I enter will let me pass.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I get passed this?

A million thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Scott

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbg1 View Post
    I want to install Mandriva over Ubuntu. I am new to linux and to wean myself onto it, I have it dual booted on my Vista machine.
    Welcome to the forums!

Note that I've moved your post to its own thread to prevent any confusion with the other poster.

In your case, if you have Mandriva One, it's a LiveCD and is supposed to boot straight into the system on the CD. Once it's running, you can click the install icon to install it to your hard drive using the same partitions that Ubuntu resides on now.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Ozar,

Tell me though, how do I get passed the login screen? Its prompting me for a username and password and I have never set one up.

Thanks Scott

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure, but try using guest as the username and password.
    oz