Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there! Yesterday i tried to compile 2.6.24 kernel and recieved this error: Code: error: file /usr/src/at76_usb-0.14dev.tar.gz missing No such file or directory Where can i get it? I found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kernel compilation error

hi there!

Yesterday i tried to compile 2.6.24 kernel and recieved this error:

Code:
    error: file /usr/src/at76_usb-0.14dev.tar.gz missing No such file or directory
    Where can i get it? I found a project that seems to produce it but in their repository i didnt find neither version 0.14 nor anything with 'dev' suffix. So i'm stuck. Please tell what should i do to work around this. Many thanks in advance

Linux Newbie
    Which site have you been to for the file?
    Is the file there but a different version?
    If it is you could change the compilation script to look for the different version - as an option to see if it works.

Just Joined!
    i've been to BerliOS Developer: Project Filelist
    it is the only site i found via google (all others just contained links to it).

Well, as i guess the file's there but none of those tarballs has 'dev' suffix in its name and none has a 0.14 version number. Well, i think i can modify the compilation script but i'm not sure that it wont spawn a lot of other errors. So what's your advice? I can try anything because i need to compile the kernel anyway but i'm a noob in this so i just can make things worse with my actions.

I Googled your problem and came up with nothing. As you can see, it appears you are the only one reporting anything about this package. That, or the possibility that you might have "spelled" the package wrong in your post. If you have spelled it completely right, then it is very strange you are the only one having this problem. Have you tried starting over with a new attempt to see if the problem is reproducable? Could be another attempt will go better without this error. Let us know. I'm really interested in seeing what's going on here.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    well, i searched for 'at 76 usb 0.14 dev' so i got some results but first time i used the same search criteria as you and came up with nothing too. I spelled the package name absolutely right and the problem is absolutely reproducable))
    Okay, there is a patch at kernel.org for my 2.6.24 kernel but when i tried to apply it i was told that it had been already applied. it confused me a lot so i aborted patch installation believing that without the patch the kernel must compile nicely too. As far as i know what i need to successfully compile a kernel is gcc (i use the latest version 4.2.2), some additional programs such as 'make' that are usually preinstalled and of course kernel sources. But it seems that i'm wrong. All tutes about kernel compilation that i read say nothing about additional packages such as the one i need so i'm much confused with such circumstances

Linux Newbie
    If you modify the compilation script and get it wrong it will only halt it, I was thinking only to try locating the line where it defines the package name and change that to the one you have, and of course locate said package in directory it is looking in.

Have you tried to locate another kernel with this package already there. Perhaps a slightly older kernel 2.6.less than 24 as at76 version 0.14 is an older version.

Just an idea.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I'll try to do something. If the problem still exists I'll try to get some help at kernel.org's mailing lists. Anyway i'll tell you about my results, so just wait.

I just compiled the 2.6.24.1 kernel in Crux and it's working perfectly. I never saw anything like the error you are getting. Thought I'd report my experience just as a reference....
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    The same problem. Mandriva 2008.0 Free. Kernels 2.6.24.1 and 2.6.24.3. Do you have any idea what the file it might be? Kinda driver, probably WLAN, but I am not sure...
    I'll try the older kernels, let's see what happens...