Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've downloaded the lInux version of Real Player to my desktop. Now , How do I install it. I'm really new to this. They give instructions on the website for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noob, help with installing Real Player

I've downloaded the lInux version of Real Player to my desktop. Now , How do I install it. I'm really new to this. They give instructions on the website for downloading. I've open ed a termainal and I've typed in the command . Actually, I copied the exact line by using the wheel on my mouse, but when I hit enter, it says "cannot access, no such file" . Do I need to maybe move it off my desktop, to somewhere else. How do I do that? Please help.

Just Joined!
    Are you sure that you are executing the installation command from the same directory where your downloaded file is. If your downloaded file is in desktop then are you executing it from desktop area such as: /home/username/desktop ?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You have to download the rpm for RealPlayer from here and save it somewhere in your home directory e.g. downloads. To install it, you would then need to start a terminal and do
    Code:
    cd downloads
    su
    rpm -Uvh RealPlayer*.rpm
    RealPlayer requires a package called libstdc++5 in order to work, so whilst logged in as root do
    Code:
    urpmi libstdc++5
    If that package is not found, you probably need to setup the various main, contrib and plf software repositories for Mandriva using the instructions at easyurpmi.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok, i did the download and su and rpm command. It said that package real Player is all ready installed. ( Is real player and real audio player the same?) I tried doing the easyurpmi and I must not be doing something right, because it says command not found. Sorry, this is very new to me.
    Also, when I try to access a radio station online to listen, my Kaffiene player comes up, because it is the default.
    Please, where do I go from here? Thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You have to switch to root first in order to use urpmi (you would enter "su -" in a terminal to do this). To check is RealPlayer is installed, enter
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep -i realplay
    If the output is something like the one below, then RealPlayer is installed.
    Code:
    user@host:~> rpm -qa | grep -i realplay
    RealPlayer-10.0.9-11
    user@host:~>
    If you get no output, then its not installed.
    If you do not want Kaffeine to be used whilst browsing the web, uninstall the kaffeine-mozilla plugin.