Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I've just installed linux for the first time today and having trouble mounting my 3 netwiork hard drives, I can mount them just fine using Set Sambda mount points ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permission problem on network hard drive

Hi I've just installed linux for the first time today and having trouble mounting my 3 netwiork hard drives, I can mount them just fine using Set Sambda mount points in Mandriva Linux Control Center 2007.1 but they become read only unless I access them in root. And using chown in root gives me this: chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/PUBLIC': Operation not permitted

Just Joined!

ntfs 3g

I hope my info is atleast a little helpfull here.

For me when i add ntfs drives to my mandriva 08 system (from new install)
    I start diskdrake from console as su and then go to advanced tab and change the file type from ntfs to ntfs 3g. That will ask for some packages to be installed.
    Then after restart i find that chown and chmod work.
    Hope it helps mate, but given my last couple of posts im not so sure.
    But this does work every time for me.
    Without the ntfs 3g installed i had the same problem. I could mount but only as read. To get the read write i believe it needs ntfs 3g.

Hope it helps just a little bit.

Just Joined!
    hmm but my 2 lacie ethernet hard drives uses xfs and dunno about my western digital ethernet hard drive.

Just Joined!
    never mind, found out on my own (had to add an uid=xxx option when mounting it)