Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I have MDK 10. When I originally installed the system, it had several nonsensical names for some of the mounted partitions/drives. I changed the fstab to some more reasonable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounts reappearing after deleting them

Hey,
    I have MDK 10. When I originally installed the system, it had several nonsensical names for some of the mounted partitions/drives.

I changed the fstab to some more reasonable settings/names, but now when it boots, its still somehow trying to mount the same drives/partitions under the old names.

In fact, when KDE loads, and I look in the filemanager under /mnt, I still see the mount points. If I delete them and refresh the folder view, they come back.

I tried killing automount (thinking it might be doing it), but even with automount dead, they would still come back.

I've been grep'ing /etc for the mount point names trying to find out where/how they're being called, with no luck yet.

Any ideas?

Linux Engineer
    u have to change the directory names in /mnt as well (as root)

mounting a drive just makes its contents accessible in an empty directory. so rename the dirs in /mnt to the same things u put in fstab. then as root unmount from the old places and run rmdir /mnt/old_name

deleting things in guis sometimes fails if u dont have the priviledges required to do it.

Just Joined!

doh!

Man... i feel sheepish It was just as you said (I could've sworn though that I tried deleting them su'd as root, and they came back after a reboot).

In any case, it does appear that the reason it was happening when done via KDE's filemanager was b/c the filemanager wasnt running under root. Even though the items were being sent to the trash apparently they werent really being deleted.

Thanks again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close