Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am starting to get comfortable with Mandriva although I have never really used a Unix based system before, but I am still encountering some problems. You see, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop driver issue

Hello, I am starting to get comfortable with Mandriva although I have never really used a Unix based system before, but I am still encountering some problems.

You see, I used to have some bad disc management and as of late I have to use a notebook adapter card for my laptop and cannot find the disc. I have a desktop machine that runs the exact same distro (Mandriva 2008 ONE), and I had the disc, so the installation was as easy as putting the disc in the drive and selecting CD ROM drive when Mandriva initially tried to install the network driver.

However, now I cannot find the disc to the notebook adapter card and I downloaded the driver from the linksys website. The Notebook adapter that I am using is WPC54G V4. I don't know if anyone can help me, but it would be amazing to have my laptop run Mandriva and able to use the internet wirelessly.

Thanks, I appreciate the help that this forum offers and the people that give knowledge to other users such as myself who aren't as knowledgeable and Unix savvy, although I hope to get there someday.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What you need to do is download the WPC54G V4 drivers from the linksys site and store them on a usb stick or cd and then transfer the driver to your Linux installtion. After that extract the contents of the file. Run the Mandriva Control Centre ("Configure Your Computer" in the menu or as root the command "drakconf" in the command line) -> Network & Internet and then choose the option to create a new wireless connection. You will see an option that lets you use Windows drivers, select that and then navigate to the directory you extracted and choose the "*inf" file. After that continue with the setup and Mandriva will let you know if it was successful. If you have two or more inf files, you may have to try a different one if one fails.