Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbee to Linux, not to the computer world. I used to use Solaris in the past(10 years ago), but then I went the Win way. The problem I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem with Firefox

I'm a newbee to Linux, not to the computer world. I used to use Solaris in the past(10 years ago), but then I went the Win way.

The problem I have is that Firefox does not start up, not in command line nor through the menu.
    I the console it gives the following error:
    ./firefox
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-ramsy/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied 2: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-ramsy/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied)
    Could not set mode 0700 on private per-user gnome configuration directory `/home/ramsy/.gnome2_private/': Operation not permitted
    I am running maybe a too old version of Mandrake(version 10.1), on KDE 3.2.
    Can someone please help.
    Tia,
    Yoonchi

Hello,

How did you install Firefox? Did you use your software manager? I ask the question because I'm wondering if you compiled it yourself. The ./firefox shouldn't be necessary. If you use urpmi then the launcher should be in your path, so all that would be necessary would be to write firefox in a terminal to get it going. In fact, urpmi would probably also create a shortcut icon in your kde menu, simplifing things even more.
    By the way, Mandradke 10.1 is really old. Have you considered updating to Mandriva 2008? I'm not sure that Manrake 10.1 is still officially supported.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

I would suggest you to download Firefox from here and extract it. Navigate to extracted folder in Terminal and execute ./firefox script.
    Does it throw same error?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Do it devil's casper's method first (he's usually right ), but if you still have trouble, enter the following, as root:

Code:
    # urpmi -v mozilla-firefox
    This command will download and install Firefox. Once done, you should find it in your kde menu.

Note, that if you haven't done it yet, you need to configure your repositories. Do that here, just follow the instructions.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    By the way, Mandradke 10.1 is really old. Have you considered updating to Mandriva 2008? I'm not sure that Manrake 10.1 is still officially supported.
    That would be a good move IMO. Version 10.1 is very old and is no longer supported as you suggest.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso