Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have recently installed Mandrake Community 10.1 on a Presario V4000 laptop, and I have run into a number of minor but annoying issues. With no apparent rhyme or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues with Comminuty 10.1 on a laptop

Hello,
    I have recently installed Mandrake Community 10.1 on a Presario V4000 laptop, and I have run into a number of minor but annoying issues. With no apparent rhyme or reason, programs will simply not respond to the keyboard at all. This happens about half of the time when I start a program, and no matter how many times I terminate and restart the program it will not work. This is sometimes fixed by logging out and back in, but doing that also makes programs that were working before suffer the same problem.

In addition, I am stuck in 1024x768 resolution, and am unable to change that resolution witout getting a severe graphics error. This would ordinarily be fine, but I am using a widescreen laptop and would like things to stop being distorted. Can anyone help me resolve either of these issues?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthewizard View Post
    In addition, I am stuck in 1024x768 resolution, and am unable to change that resolution witout getting a severe graphics error. This would ordinarily be fine, but I am using a widescreen laptop and would like things to stop being distorted.
    Welcome to the forums, bobthewizard!

To get additional resolutions, you might need to install the accelerated 3D drivers for your video card, if you haven't done so already. The generic drivers that come with Mandriva might not be able to handle the resolution you seek.

You can probably use URPMI to install them. Check here for a website that makes setting it up easier.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I suggest you try Mandriva 2008 instead of Mandrake. Mandrake 10.1 is now more or less obsolete and was replaced by the Mandriva releases.