Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, im new to Linux, i just booted it and tried to open websites with mozzila, but it says i dont have an internet connection, i tried to set one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet

Hey, im new to Linux, i just booted it and tried to open websites with mozzila, but it says i dont have an internet connection, i tried to set one up, i chose wireless, but that didnt work, is there a way to detect or set up and internet connection?

Check this thread for a little bit more insight, then post us back here when you run into trouble and be sure to include as much info as possible. Good Luck!
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...tml#post470915
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 02-24-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Actually included the Link this time! WOAH!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

update

ok, i looked through the tutorial link you gave me, but it seems that im not the brightest bulb in the box. I read through and did the offline install section, found my MANDRIVA version, I went to this site and it started an automatic download.

"www.mde.djura.org/2008.0/RPMS/ndiswrapper-1.52-1mde2008.0.i586.rpm"

It downloaded an ndiswraper file much like the last part of that link. Then i read onto the "From Source" section. This all seemed a bit confusing, since i dont understand the whole "root" and "var" (+directories) thing. I also dont know if this is another way of getting ndiswrapper onto linux or if it is used to install it.

*you may be a little lost, but bear with me.

I can burn disc images or just files to DVD or CD just fine, although i don't know which one to do. The ndiswrapper file i have downloaded ends with the ".rpm" etxtension if that helps. If i burnt it as an image or a file, i open "console" in linux, and I have had no experience with this whatsoever so i will need a little help here. I think i understand a little bit, type "root" to go to the main category? and i think the tutorial tells me what else to type?

I'm sorry, just browsing through the rest of the tutorial, my head just starts spinning...

Any help here? or should I try something else?

--Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by live4lax364 View Post
    ok, i looked through the tutorial link you gave me, but it seems that im not the brightest bulb in the box. I read through and did the offline install section, found my MANDRIVA version, I went to this site and it started an automatic download.

"www.mde.djura.org/2008.0/RPMS/ndiswrapper-1.52-1mde2008.0.i586.rpm"

It downloaded an ndiswraper file much like the last part of that link. Then i read onto the "From Source" section. This all seemed a bit confusing, since i dont understand the whole "root" and "var" (+directories) thing. I also dont know if this is another way of getting ndiswrapper onto linux or if it is used to install it.

*you may be a little lost, but bear with me.

I can burn disc images or just files to DVD or CD just fine, although i don't know which one to do. The ndiswrapper file i have downloaded ends with the ".rpm" etxtension if that helps. If i burnt it as an image or a file, i open "console" in linux, and I have had no experience with this whatsoever so i will need a little help here. I think i understand a little bit, type "root" to go to the main category? and i think the tutorial tells me what else to type?

I'm sorry, just browsing through the rest of the tutorial, my head just starts spinning...

Any help here? or should I try something else?

--Thanks
    Hi there,
    Are you using Windows to download files or do you have a working Network connection on your Linux box? If you are using Windows, that's ok, but, you will probably need to download other files too and burn them to a disk all at once. Most of the files you will need are located on the CD/DVD install disks.
    Which kernel version are you using?
    Open a terminal/konsole window, in Linux and login as root like this:
    Code:
    su -
    (press enter)
    (Enter root password and press enter)
    You won't see anything when you type the password, this is normal.
    Now, you are root, issue this command
    Code:
    uname -r
    You don't need to use root for this, but now you know how to login as root.
    Post that output back here, so that we know which kernel you have.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!

konsole

Hey, I'm using Parallels on Mac OS X Leopard. I installed it on Parallels fine, and i opened console, typed in both "su-" and "su -". The one with the space seemed to work. It brought up "Password:" It wouldnt let me just type on that line, so i pressed enter like you said, and typed my password. It added a "su-" to the end and said it was an invalid password. The standard line in was giving me before each command line was"myname@localhost" or something of that sort. It didn't say root. I did get it to say one thing though, im not sure if its what your looking for... "2.6.22.9-desktop-586-1mdv". This came out when i just tried to type "uname -r". If that helps I don't know... During installation, i got to the Wireless network installation and it told me to go to a website (i'll look for the direct link but i can't seem to find it right now) and download an "ndiswrapper". I downloaded it and the file it gave me on my desktop with a driver in it is named "ndiswrapper-1.52.tar.gz". I tried to click on it or select it in internet configuration as the driver needed, but that didnt seem to work, I dont know if this is what i need or what? sorry, new to Linux...

Just Joined!

found it!

The link i used to get the "ndiswrapper" was

"http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/list"

Right, After you extract (unzip) ndiswrapper, there is a file name README and INSTALL, you'll want to read both of those.
    Extract the file from the command line with this command
    Code:
    tar -zxvf ndiswrapper-1.52.tar.gz
    That will create a folder named ndiswrapper-1.52, you can change to that directory with this command
    Code:
    cd ndiswrapper-1.52
    Then have a look around with this command
    Code:
    ls
    To view the README file try this
    Code:
    nano README
    To view the Install file
    Code:
    nano INSTALL
    use Ctrl X to Exit from nano.