Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I tried booting linux in Parallels desktop a while ago, i wrote the image to the CD and it booted fine, but i knew Parallels would cycle "booting from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot in parallels?

Hey, I tried booting linux in Parallels desktop a while ago, i wrote the image to the CD and it booted fine, but i knew Parallels would cycle "booting from hard drive...", or "booting from floppy..." and other devices like these in an order, hard drive being first. I shut linux down, and i went to use it again today, and it stopped at hard drive every time. I tried putting in the CD i made with the image, and it wouldnt boot from that either, i tried putting the image file in the hard drive folder so maybe it would boot from the "hard drive" and work. but that didnt do anything. I tried reconnecting the CD-ROM drive and connecting directly to the CD. None of this works and i cant boot. Have any of you used linux with Parallels Desktop? Could any of you help me?

--Thanks

Parallels Stops at Hard Drive

I have no experience with this but please try the following:

If Mac is unable to read the CD, you may try to install from an .iso
    image of the CD.
    To create ISO image please take the following steps:

1. Insert the OS installation disc into the CD/DVD-ROM drive of your computer.

2. Start the Parallels Image Tool (applications/parallels/parallels image tool). Upon startup, the assistant displays the Welcome dialog. Click Next.

3. On the Choose Device Type dialog select the CD/DVD-ROM option and click Next.

4. On the CD/DVD-ROM dialog make sure the option Create a new ISO image of the CD/DVD disc is selected. Click Next.

5. On the Create New ISO Image of CD/DVD Disc dialog select the source device (CD/DVD-ROM drive on your Macintosh computer), and specify a destination folder and a name of the CD/DVD image file. Click Next.

6. On the Review Processing Options dialog, carefully review the settings (operation, source device, and destination file). If everything is correct, click the Start button to begin the operation.

7. While the operation is being performed, the Execution in progress dialog is displayed. Wait until the operation is completed.

8. After the disc image is created, the Execution Completed dialog appears.

Click the Exit button to close the assistant.

The disc image is created and placed in the destination folder specified in step 5

Now you should be able to connect this image to the Parallels Desktop
    Virtual Machine

In the Configuration screen Edit> CD/DVD-ROM Options,
    enable "Use Image File" option and select your file's destination in
    the field below.

in Options Booting tab select
    sequence as (CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy.)

Start VM with the green start button

And install Linux as normal

canineloop

Just Joined!

Thanks!

Thanks! i followed those steps and it worked great! Linux is now fully installed!

Re: Thanks!

Ahhh....Linux and BSD together again at last! I'm happy it worked out for you.

Just Joined!

bsd?

Yea, sorry i dont know what BSD is. ha

Yea, sorry i dont know what BSD is. ha
    It's a Unix based Operating System, kinda sorta like Linux. A little more complicated though.
    The FreeBSD Project
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Not Knowing What BSD Is

Heh. Under the skin of that beautiful new Mac OS you're enjoying is Ian Darwin's contribution to the furtherance of Unix via FreeBSD, (Berkeley Systems Development), I think that's the translation to the initials.

What makes OS X spot-on stable? BSD. Unix's younger cousin. Start poking around in the files in those folders behind your HD icon and you will see some Linux-y looking things. A sign that Steve Jobs has part of his head in the right place.

When he was booted from Apple he took up the Unix trail with Nextstep for his NeXt Computers. That spinning beachball in OS X 10.0 was stolen from the Nextstep OS.

When Jobs returned to save Apple's bacon in 1997 he brought Unix, and a host of hot computer designs along with him.