Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can't seem to get mandrake to install from the CD's I burned. My box doesn't seem to pick-up the CD. I've check the boot order CD is 2nd. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing mandrake 10

I can't seem to get mandrake to install from the CD's I burned. My box doesn't seem to pick-up the CD. I've check the boot order CD is 2nd. I burned the CD's in Xandros, my present linux OS. Any ideas?
    Scott

Linux Newbie
    Try settingd the CDs to first in your BIOS.
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    I know that with my machine it will not allow you to set CD as the #1 in boot order. Don't fret if your machine does not allow you.

After you downloaded the mirror of Mandrake what symbol did your current Linux system apply to it. I know that on my IBM Windows system it applied a IBM RecordNow symbol. In order to make it an Installation CD you had to double click the symbol NOT burn the file. This might be your problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Once you have the cd burned, place it in your cd drive, then either open it and select autorun, then choose "make boot floppy" follow the prompts, then bootfrom the floppy to the cd.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    Please post back with a description of your system and the burning software you are using. If you have already changed the boot order in the bios, make sure you have run an md5sum check on each of the isos before burning. The isos should not be expanded but should be burned using burn image.

Counterspy

Just Joined!
    I have three installation CDs for Mandrake 10--all three burned in Nero Burning ROM 6. The first would not boot for me either, however, when I put the second in, it booted perfectly. Once in the installation wizard, it realized that the first installation CD was not in the drive and asked that I put the first CD in the drive. Don't know why this worked, but it did. Maybe this will work for you, too.

it works becasue all 3 cd's have the bootable portion, whitch is then loaded into the ram, and acts as a temporary OS, (stored in ram, so you can remove CD's)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333