Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey All, How do I re-enable the notification area where the volume and eth control usually are? I accidently removed the thing and can't get it back. I have the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simple Questions - New User

Hey All,

How do I re-enable the notification area where the volume and eth control usually are? I accidently removed the thing and can't get it back. I have the newest version of Mandriva. Any help would be much appriciated.

Where can I download new themes? I've seen some SS's of some awesome ones and can't find any cool ones.

Is there a way to get the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and ect) running on this thing?

EDIT: Also, I can't get my windows to minimize to the KDE panel.

I love linux now. I have taken the full dive and I'm peicing it together one by one. I'm trying not to rely so much on the GUI because I need to have the command line down pact.

Thanks~

What window manager are you using ? Sounds like KDE.

Right click on the Panel ... you can add applets or applications.

If you want to run Windows apps within Linux then you will have to look into wine.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Just Joined!
    I saw the add to panel stuff. I guess what i'm really asking is that during login after a reboot I have 3 apps that load up automatically for some reason. I have even unchecked Start KRandR when KDE loads, but it still loads. Here are the three programs that start

1. KRandR
    2. KMix
    3. KPowersave

How do I stop these from starting at the topleft as 3 little boxes?

Just Joined!
    Just figured it out lol. Nevermind. Thanks for the help though.

Next topic, Adobe Suite. I do have wine configured and tested, just not sure how to install a friggen app with it. I'll do some more research.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Haven't used wine for a while but when I did, to install a windows app from a CDRom, mount the drive, open it, find the install.exe or setup.exe file, click on it and you should get a window asking which application you would like to open the file with, a list of apps in the window and a space to type an entry. If winde isn't on the list of apps just type "wine" in the space (without the quotes) and go from there.

You probably know that wine is a hidden folder in your home directory so all commands to open apps need to have this in the path. Example for a user named 'bob' to open notepad on C drive:

wine "/home/bob/.wine/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe"

Note the period after 'bob/, necessary.
    This worked for me on Suse 9.2, maybe they made it easier in the last few years.

At a command prompt type:
    Code:
    $ wine [name of exe]
    This will launch wine against the Windows executable file.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Just Joined!
    Assuming I get this installed, will I have to use wine to run the application each time or can i make a "batch?" file and change the icon to run it automatically launch the app using wine.

Thanks so much for the help guys. I am trying to get my cannon printer to work now, wish me luck lol.

The results you get from Wine depend on the programme.

Is there a way to get the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and ect) running on this thing?
    I believe that these do not run on Wine. You may have more success with Crossover, which generally works better, but I doubt it.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Linux Guru
    Not sure if I understood your last post question but, if all you want is an icon on your desktop to click to open a windows program in wine, just right-click on the Desktop, Create New, File, Link to Application. In the window that opens type the name you want to call it under the 'General' tab, select whatever 'permissions' you need, and under the 'Application' tab in the space to the right of 'Command' write 'wine nameofprogram'. Ex, to open notepad, just enter here 'wine notepad'