Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there anything comparable to dreamweaver for linux, preferably free?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

website compiler's

is there anything comparable to dreamweaver for linux, preferably free?

Linux User
    Try Quanta +, unlike dreamweaver it actually creates standards compliant code. With all the plugins that can be used with Quanta +, you can do pretty much everything except flash with it. I design sites for a living, and Quanta is my first choice in webIDE's.

There's plenty of others, including Bluefish, which is worth a look.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I use Quanta, but one of my favourites is Aptana Studio. Its an Eclipse based project, so you will need a java runtime environment in order to run it.

Just Joined!
    Ahh, I've heard of Quanta now that I think about it. My buddy is the one that is converting me to a linux cat. I build websites on the side so I use some powerful tools and that was my main concern with linux. Thanks for the help I'll give this a shot tonight when i'm home from work.

Just Joined!
    When I try to run check the Java Runtime Environment I get the following error

Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:

- java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.04-1.0.2mdv2008.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied jpackage-utils[>= 0:1.5.38])

This is when i am using rpmdrake. I noticed I get these kind of errors frequently when trying to install stuff using the rpmdrake software. Any ideas?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    It could be that your software sources are not up to date. If you have not already done so, go to easyurpmi and setup the various main, contrib, plf and updates repos. After that do
    Code:
    #urpmi.update -a
    #urpmi  java-1.6.0-sun
    Remember to run "urpmi.update -a" every know and then so that you keep your software sources up to date.