Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, Ive been trying to install Real Player for the past two days and have read related post's on this forum but i only ever receive the message 'No ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RealPlayer10GOLD.bin Install Problems

hi all, Ive been trying to install Real Player for the past two days and have read related post's on this forum but i only ever receive the message 'No such File or Directory'. Currently i am logged in as root, through the Login window at Mandriva start but have also tried these methods logging in as a local user, and then logging in as root through the terminal but to no avail.

If anyone is interested the link for the program is here RealPlayer for Linux - the best audio and video player - Real.com.
    I have read on this forum 'Ok. Try two things. First log in as root. Then make sure you're in the directory that has the bin file. Type this:'

Code:
    chmod +x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    Then try:
    Code:
    sh RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    Or
    Code:
    ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin

I am new to Linux and the file is currently downloaded to desktop, as for the above instructions I am not sure what 'then make sure you're in the directory that has the bin file'. The code comes back with the same results. Can someone help? This is what I have tried.

[root@localhost ~]# ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    bash: ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]# sh RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    sh: RealPlayer10GOLD.bin: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]# chmod +x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    chmod: cannot access `RealPlayer10GOLD.bin': No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]# sh RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
    sh: RealPlayer10GOLD.bin: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]#

Just Joined!
    Just realised theres info in the sticky lol, very sorry trying it now

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, cus1984!

No problem... and do let us know how it goes.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you are using Mandriva, its probably best to install the rpm from here. Also make sure you install libstdc++5 using the Mandriva package manager because its needed for RealPlayer to work correctly.

Just Joined!
    Thank God for that, the installation worked, however when i run realplayer now i get an error 'could not launch menu item
    Failed to exevute child process "realplay"
    no such file or directory'

Ill try daark.child's reccomendations, at least i'm going in the right direction

Just Joined!
    I tried daark.child's recommendation's by installing the Rpm and it worked, RealPlayer now successfully launches and the libstdc++5 library was already installed, however when i try to open a music file i get the error "Cannot open the audio device another application may be using it".

This may be because i installed the RPM over the original RealPlayer installation that didn't work i'am not sure.

Anyway i can get music files to play with other applications, but i need RealPlayer so i can play replays of BBC radio 1 shows. Can any1 help me out by trying these links to see if the the replay of the radio shows works?

BBC - Radio 1 - DJs/Shows (chris moyles is show i want, simply click on it)

i can also play the station live, by selecting 'listen live' and then windows media player, but am having trouble with the replays of shows
    If the link works for anyone can you tell me what application is making it work.
    I am currently using Gnome envoriment

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can resolve the sound problem by installing alsa-oss (not sure what the exact name of the package is, but you should find it by searching in the GUI package manager). After that edit /usr/local/RealPlayer/realplay and change the section below
    Code:
    # Restart the player if exit code is 10
    $REALPLAYBIN "$@"
    to
    Code:
    # Restart the player if exit code is 10
     aoss $REALPLAYBIN "$@"
    I also have problems using RealPlayer with the BBC site and sometimes choosing to listen to the streams in a stand alone player helps.

Just a suggestion. You can get round all your realplayer woes by installing VLC. This will play everything you ever need - and in fact it's the only thing I use these days.

and sometimes choosing to listen to the streams in a stand alone player helps.
    The BBC is often problematic for some reason. In my experience launching it as a standalone player is more reliable.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT