Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dual OS system with both Mandrake 9.2 and Windows Xp. Recently I wanted to start fresh with clean copy of Mandrake so I wiped the hard drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble booting both Linux and Windows

I have a dual OS system with both Mandrake 9.2 and Windows Xp. Recently I wanted to start fresh with clean copy of Mandrake so I wiped the hard drive containing Mandrake and reloaded it. The problem is when I installed Mandrake last time I placed the boot loader on the beginning of the drive which I believe is the windows XP drive. NOw all I see when I boot straight to windows is L 99 99 99 and so on with the 9's. Windows won't even boot can I fix this?

Just Joined!

If this helps anyone answer...

When I try and boot Windows from inside the lilo menu it gives me the whole widows shpeel: Your computer did not shutdown correctly would you like to boot in safe mode, last good configuration or normally. HOwever nom matter which one I select it does nothing. The only selection that does anything is safe mode and it loads the drivers up to mup.sys and then freezes.

Please help...

Just Joined!
    sounds to me like something is messed up with your MBR (master boot record). So you are trying to use LILO to boot? Make sure that it is installed in the first 1024 cylinder mark of your hard drive or else it won't boot correctly.

Another thing you might consider doing (that is if you checked that LILO was installed properly, is using a third party boot manager, it is what I do.

I already had WinXP running perfectly on partition one of my first hard drive. I then made a linux partition using partition magic (i also made a swap partition). Then I installed boot magic (part of the partition magic package), and activated it. Then i rebooted the computer with the mandrake cd in the drive, and installed mandrake. When it asks you about the boot manager, INSTALL IT IN THE ROOT FOLDER OF LINUX!!!!!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! Once linux is installed, reboot the computer and choose windows, and configure a linux choice in the boot magic configuration (this is in windows xp). Reboot the computer , and you should be able to boot into either system. If you choose windows, it will boot into windows. If you choose Linux, it will go to Lilo, and then you can just choose linux from there, and it works fine. Hope this was some help.