Find the answer to your Linux question:
can someone tel me the main differences between mandriva and fedora i had a class on fedora so in the past i used it but i took the distro test ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

differences from fedora

can someone tel me the main differences between mandriva and fedora i had a class on fedora so in the past i used it but i took the distro test and it say i should try mandriva and i want to kno what different

is the command line the same?
    can i still use yum and livna?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Mandriva is fork of the old Red Hat Linux distro, so in some ways its quite similar to Fedora but many things have also changed as its evolved over time. Mandriva uses its own package manager called urpmi and the gui frontend is called rpmdrake. KDE is the main desktop (unlike Fedora which defaults to GNOME) and it has a central control center called Mandriva Control Center (drakconf on the CLI) that you use to configure most aspects of the system. Most of the command line tools are the same in all Linux distros (apart from a few distro specific tools).

Just Joined!
    that helps so most commands work the same and i can man page the rest but i prefer gnome over kde

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Mandriva has GNOME as an option, but in my opinion KDE is a lot more polished in Mandriva than GNOME.