Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I shut the computer down after using Mandriva all my USB devices are still powered. Has anyone else experienced this and/or does anyone know how to solve this? I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB still powered after shutdown

When I shut the computer down after using Mandriva all my USB devices are still powered. Has anyone else experienced this and/or does anyone know how to solve this? I'm running Mandriva 2008 kernel 2.6.22.18

Cheers

Joemoer

Linux Engineer
    I've never seen this before, but then I don't think I've ever shutdown a linux box except my laptop, which doesn't have that issue. Is it too big a deal to hit the power button afterwards? Does this happen with other distros?

Linux Newbie
    I would suggest trying different distros/OSes (ehem...just to test). This sounds like a hardware problem with the motherboard (especially since it's for "all" of your USB devices). Also, what kind of machine are you using? (e.g. desktop, laptop) This might help diagnose the problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    I would suggest trying different distros/OSes (ehem...just to test). This sounds like a hardware problem with the motherboard (especially since it's for "all" of your USB devices). Also, what kind of machine are you using? (e.g. desktop, laptop) This might help diagnose the problem.
    A hardware/Bios issue was my first instinct too but alas, it seems to be a Mandriva problem. I have a windoze partition (ahem...which I seldom use) and that shuts down properly. I run a desktop PC with a NF4 mobo, but as I say I get the feeling its more of a kernel issue.

As suggested above, I could always just unplug the system after shutdown - certainly the simplest solution - but that's not the point. As a linux hobbyist I MUST make this work!!!

Thanks for the replies both of you