Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have noticed that when I log out of Mandriva, and then end Current session, my monitor enters sleep mode and my base unit stays switched on. I try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shutdown problem

Hi,

I have noticed that when I log out of Mandriva, and then end Current session, my monitor enters sleep mode and my base unit stays switched on. I try coming out of sleep mode by moving mouse, touching keyboard, even pressing power button to kick it back to life, but nothing, i have to hold down the power button on the unit to turn my machine off.

Any ideas what could be causing this? This has only happened since i did a clean install of Mandriva last week. Mandriva One is the only OS on my system. any help would be appreciated.

baz

Hi Barry - as no-one has replied to your question (probably because we don't know the answer!) I'll have a go. What make is your monitor? This could actually be a bug, because I haven't heard of this problem before.

I wonder if this could relate to your power management settings?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux User
    Add the line to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

acpi=force

where the 'kernel' line ends at. Give a space first!

So that your line which looked like this:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=878f5580-5217-4cbf-81df-a9ced38b88ed ro quiet splash
    now looks like this:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=878f5580-5217-4cbf-81df-a9ced38b88ed ro quiet splash acpi=force
    "When you have nothing to say, say nothing."

Just Joined!
    hi guys, sorry i never got back to you sooner. It seems the issue has resolved itself for the time being. I havent had a problem with the last couple of shutdowns. However I will keep the post open for now incase it re-appears. If it does i will give your advice a go.

Linux Newbie

I have a similar problem...

Quote Originally Posted by usamamuneeb View Post
    Add the line to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

acpi=force

where the 'kernel' line ends at. Give a space first!

So that your line which looked like this:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=878f5580-5217-4cbf-81df-a9ced38b88ed ro quiet splash
    now looks like this:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=878f5580-5217-4cbf-81df-a9ced38b88ed ro quiet splash acpi=force
    I will try the ACPI thing to see if it works, but my problem is that I have a laptop (HP Pavillion tx 1410) and when I restart (and possibly also when I shut down) it hangs just before it shuts off. I tried hitting escape for verbose, but the computer was frozen. I tried doing it sooner, but I got the same problem. i'll try it immediately this time to see where it hangs. Is there a log I can look at to help figure out why my computer is getting confused?

Linux User
    I had a common bug in Ubuntu and each time I install it, the first modification is the GRUB file only. To get a log, run these commands and post their output:

------------------------
    lspci -vv > lspci-vv.log
    lspci -vvn > lspci-vvn.log
    dmesg > dmesg.log
    lshal > lshal.log
    -----------------

Don't panic if these don't work, try 'su'. If still not, remember I have blindly copied them from:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....15/+bug/43961

where there is a long long thread for the same issue.

Linux User
    ............And before you do anything I was blathering about, try this page:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/comments/186

It says it is not a fault of Ubuntu team (nor Mandriva as in your case).