Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have installed Mandriva Free 2008, and I wanted to install Lame mp3 encoder to be able to rip CD's and to save them as mp3-files. Unfortunally I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Lame in Mandriva?

Hi!

I have installed Mandriva Free 2008, and I wanted to install Lame mp3 encoder to be able to rip CD's and to save them as mp3-files.

Unfortunally I have not been able to find Lame in any Mandriva repositories.
    I then downloaded Lame 3.97 from sourceforge.net in order to compile it and install it locally, but when I try to compile it by typing: ./configure , I just get the meaage: No acceptable gcc compiler in PATH.

I have installed Gcc 4.3 and a lot of dependencies plus make, but still get the same error message.

I also have tried to get the Lame package from PCLinuxOS repositories, where I know, it can be reached, but Mandriva don't accept these repositories.

Is there any way to install Lame in Mandriva, or will I have to dump Mandriva and install PCLinuxOS again?

Kaj Rasmussen

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Use the packages from the PLF repos. Set them up using the instructions at easyurpmi. After that search for lame in the GUI package manager and install the packages you need.

Just Joined!
    Thank you daark.child.

That solved the problem, but it is an incredible slow process to ad media in urpmi.
    I think, I will have to set up apt-get and synaptic to save me from these frustrations.

Kaj

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The speed of urpmi depends on your net connection and the mirror you are using. Try using SMART which should be available in the Mandriva repos.