Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Sorry, I forgot about Synaptic. I can never update anything on there. It always says something to the effect that it's outdated or my connection is wrong. Sorry, I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sorry, I forgot about Synaptic. I can never update anything on there. It always says something to the effect that it's outdated or my connection is wrong. Sorry, I am not at work now and I can't remember exactly what is says. It will show me what updates need to completed, though. There is probably something I'm missing about it.?Thanks

Are you using Mandriva?
    Because the Mandriva has its own package handler, the urpmi. You have graphical frontend fo it, the rpmdrake. Please let me know what distro are you using. I'm sure I can help you, but need to know where to start. Synaptic is package manager for Debian-based distributions.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    yes, i'm using Mandriva.
    I was able to download the zip file for Firefox 2. Now I just need help installing it.
    I tried installing it using package installer and it said it was a binary file and installing it would corrupt. So it never gave me any prompts or anything to do anything further.

I would recommend you to install Firefox from repositories. You can find them with EasyUrpmi website: Easy Urpmi
    Follow the instructions and you'll be able to install it properly.
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    I've tried to use Easy Urpmi before, and it doesnt' have an option for my system. - Mandriva 1.654. Or is that equivilent to something else?
    And How do I know which repositories to use? Thank you.

"If you are using 2008.0 or older version, switch to the old interface.
    If you are using smartpm instead of urpmi, switch to smartpm mode"

What's your version. For the older ones it will list the exact version number. Check all the repositories, but backports and follow the instructions. It won't download any packages, but instead of it you'll have many new packages in Rpmdrake. You'll have to do that from terminal as root, but you'll see!
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    I went to the urpmi website and switched to the "old interface" version.
    I then selected Mandriva version 2005, then for architecture, my choices are *, i586,ia64,ppc,x86.64 Which one do I pick?
    Then after I pick one, do I also select" select mirror for every source?
    Then I go to step 2 and under official, the main, contrib and update boxes are checked. then under penguin liberation front, no boxes are checked. Then there is also a box for " use compressed index" that is not checked.
    Then going to step 3 gives me the instructions to type into root. Do I type each line in separately?

Also, in case I can't figure this out, could you give me the instructions for removing flash player 9. This is my last day of work until Thursday , and know one will be able to surf the web if I don't get this fixed. Thank you very much.

Just Joined!
    went to the urpmi website and switched to the "old interface" version.
    I then selected Mandriva version 2005, then for architecture, my choices are *, i586,ia64,ppc,x86.64 Which one do I pick?
    Then I go to step 2 and under official, the main, contrib and update boxes are checked. then under penguin liberation front, no boxes are checked. Then there is also a box for " use compressed index" that is not checked.
    Then going to step 3 gives me the instructions to type into root. Do I type each line in separately?

The only thing from above that I figured out was my architecture is i586.What do I do for the rest?

I was wondering if my other installed plugins were interfering with flash player 9? They are File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

When I installed Flash 9 , I used the option of a tar.gz Should I have used the rpm option?

After wondering about all the above, I figured out how to uninstall flash 9 , and I can now bring up the oprah site, it doesn't kick off, but it still freezes and I can't click on anything. I tried 2 other websites and they still kick off.
    I'd be willing to try to install it again , if youthink that would help. I just don't know what else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nettie63 View Post
    went to the urpmi website and switched to the "old interface" version.
    Is your system a 32-bit one? If yes, you should select i586 if not then use x86.64.
    You dont have to select mirrors separately.
    Check PLF boxes too.
    After 3. step you'll have a long-long command shown. Copy all of it at once.
    Open up Terminal (Konsole)
    Type: su
    Type: your password
    You should see # instead of $ at the beginning of a line.
    Paste the clipboard and wait. The packagelist download should work. If you want smaller download with no package descriptions, use compessed index instead.
    I hope it will work.
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    I did all the above , and I am still getting "urpmi.addmedia command not found"
    After typing in su, it doesn't ask me for a password. I type it in anyway, hit enter, then it says "(mypassword) command not found"
    It's definitly switching to root,) it says "root@local host" #
    Is it supposed to prompt me for my password? Or is it possible one wasn't set up for it? However, when I turn it on in the morning, I do have to use a password with the session I'm starting. That's the same one I am using for above mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast