I'm gussing up a Linux box for a non-technical friend (PII 266/400 MB ram plus or minus...some box I had kicking around the closet, ATI Radeon 9000 agp video....), bought an inexpensive isp account for them to use...the person isn't a complete (L)user, but I DO wish her dial-up to be as trouble-free as possible. I had a RH 9 box, the Network Device Control (NDC) application isn't too good; I was never able to get it to *recover* from even so mundane an event as a BUSY signal (American phone system). I looked and looked for other settings to iron this out, at codes too...nothing. It would redial, w/ no way to easily STOP it (I did ps -eaf, looked for stuff to kill, but this is NOT an option for the intended user), or it would LOCK UP the NDC but good. Eventually NDC just stopped working...no, really. Couldn't add/remove stuff, activate/deactivate was useless...a slippery slope indeed...

This is NOT good for the day-to-day experience for the average user....

I'm inclined to just snag a copy of Mandrake's latest distro at the local computer megalith; i'd be grateful for an impression or two (or three or four) regarding the level of grace Mandrake's dialer exerts on the experience...I wish to install, and support this person so they don't cave and buy a Billy box (as in Gates).

Using external serial USR External 56K (3040)....

Also: as a second question, Gnome desktop available as well?

Me: I bought a Powerbook G4 in January; i'm lazy....but (sigh) if i can help another person out here...

regards, and thanks,

vinylone