Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am brand new to the Linux operating system, I know next to nothing about it, so this may be one of many questions I ask here. Ok, you know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing startup priority

I am brand new to the Linux operating system, I know next to nothing about it, so this may be one of many questions I ask here.

Ok, you know how you start your computer up normally, and then you get the list of which OS to load.

I have the Linux, and 4 other linux things to choose from, and Windows XP (which I use primarily). Anyways, it by default chooses Linux, because it's at the top of the list. How do I get it to have Windows XP first, and Linux second?

I hate having to restart the computer again, because it restarted into Linux and I didn't want it to.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Do you use lilo or grub as a bootloader?

If you use lilo. Go to a terminal screen. type su then enter your root password.

then type the following command:

Code:
    vi /etc/lilo.conf
    This will open the bootloader file for editing.

You should see a line near the top that says default=linux.

Press ESC then I.

This will allow you to edit the file. Replace linux with whatever linux has called your Windows partition... I think it may be NT.

Then press ESC then :wq!. You will notice the output of this command at the bottom left of the terminal screen.

It should look like this:

Code:
    :wq!
    Then press enter. This will quit and write the file.

When back at the command prompt type /sbin/lilo

This will write the new settings for the Lilo bootloader.

For Grub open /etc/grub.conf and change the default=0 to whatever number partition Windows is on. You don't need to run any command after this to update grub.

Armage