Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i have a problem that doesnt involve linux 2 much. I know im in the wrong sub-forum,or in the wrong forum, but i need help, and i think here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy I know this doesnt belong here, but i couldnt find the right place.

Hi, i have a problem that doesnt involve linux 2 much. I know im in the wrong sub-forum,or in the wrong forum, but i need help, and i think here is the best place to look for it(if u can move the post to a better quilified sub-forum, then please do, im sorry for the disturbance). I got Linux and Windows.And im running the Linux choose menu (u know, where u select witch one to go to, Linux or Windows.), and my problem is that my dad removed windows from the choices(now i HAVE to go to linux (not that its not fun, but the lack of games,no sorry, the lack of FREE nice games is a pain)).I know he hasnt erased windows, or removed it from the HD, he simply hid it from me so i cant log into it.Can someone post a way to enable the choice of windows in the Linux choose menu? (sorry, dont know how its called(i think its boot menu, not shure))I hope most of you understood what i just tried to explain.Once again sorry for posting this, but i really need help, and i think i choose the best place for it.Hope someone can help me.If u need a more specified explanation of what im trying to say, please tell me.Thanks in advance

The screen where you choose the operating system you want to boot is called Grub (There are others available but I'd guess the Mandriva default is Grub?). The settings for Grub are found in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Type the following into a shell as root and post the output here.

Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Linux User #453176

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i solved my problem and now im happy again im verry greatful, and i think a mod(admin) can delete this thread if its not a bother.Thanks, i hope this never happens again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What was the solution? Maybe someone with this problem will wonder onto this thread in the future.
    Linux User #453176

Linux Newbie

I like that guy's dad!

I'm thinking about removing windows from GRUB so my family has to learn Linux!.
    As far as the solution goes, there's more than one way.

He could have simply placed Windows boot information back into the menu.lst as previously suggested.

Seeing as how the guy's dad intentionally removed Windows from the menu, then perhaps a better solution would have been to create a grub disk that allowed him to bypass his dad's grub and boot into Windows.

But I tihnk that this guy was missing the point when he wanted to find "good", "free games". There are so many games that are playable in Linux that are both "good" and "free".

Many Windows games ARE playable in Linux through solutions like WINE (Cedega/Crossover Office).

for example, I am about try Anarchy Online and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic in my Mandriva 2008.0.

I agree that Linux is every bit as capable as Windows to run games; indeed it's potential is to hammer Windows as it's so much more powerful. But I don't think that forcing people to use Linux is a good idea. Encourage people to use it, yes of course, give them the opportunity to discover it, absolutely. But Linux is about choice, not about coercion. The moment Linux-users prevent others from choosing, then Linux loses some of its soul. That's one of the things we all criticise about Microsoft, after all: most people must buy it when they get a new computer; they don't have the choice to say they want something else. Let's not make the same mistake.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Linux Newbie
    Well I was joking, actually, but you are absolutely right.

Linux is almost completely about choice, and people who seriously try to force that choice on others don't make Linux any friends.

It almost sounds like a religious war. I'm inspired to write another article!