Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I try to play some media files but i was not able to hear any thing . My head phones or my speakers neither of them are working do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Speakers not working

Hi,
    I try to play some media files but i was not able to hear any thing . My head phones or my speakers neither of them are working do I have to install any thing if so what to install how to install.

Hello - you need to go to System>Control Centre, and then select Sound System. Select the Hardware tab and next to Select the Audio Device choose ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. There are other sound systems you could try, but stick with ALSA for now.

Enable full duplex sound under the same menu... Now try your speakers again. If you don't hear anything you could try opening a terminal (command line) and typing: alsamixer . Turn everything up, and use your arrow keys to scroll left/right. Hit Esc. when you've finished. That might work.

Please let us know how you get on.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    also in a terminal make sure that alsa-utils is installed by running apt-get install alsa-ultils and then run alsaconf.

Just Joined!
    My system is configured to advanced linux sound architecture & i made it full duplex as you have told BUT NOT working.

Just Joined!
    alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument

This is what i am getting when i tried alsamixer

I have no clue what the ALSA errors mean. Do you have any idea which sound card your system has? You could try using this command to find out. If you don't understand what you are looking for, then paste it back here for help.
    (as root or sudo)
    Code:
    lspci
    Also paste the output of this command too please.
    Code:
    lsmod
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

It's possible that ALSA is looking for a certain kernel module, producing that error when it can't be found.

This might not be easy to fix, but I would become root and do:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep snd
    That will generate a list of all the installed sound modules. You might then try:
    Code:
    rmmod snd_hda_intel
    modprobe snd_hda_intel
    Assuming that the above module was running anyway. The idea is to remove it, then re-insert it. I got the idea from a Google search, but it's worth a try. Something is missing from your system, and a module seems likely.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    when i try to remove module using rmmod it says module is in use & cant be removed