Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I am very new to Linux and I need a quick answer because my work. I installed a Canon IP3500 printer on my Mandrive Linux. When I first installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Printers

Hello. I am very new to Linux and I need a quick answer because my work. I installed a Canon IP3500 printer on my Mandrive Linux. When I first installed it I installed the driver for the IP4000. After figuring out that there were problems with the driver not causing the printer to work right, I finally found a IP3500 linux driver. Now I need to install the printer using that driver. Can anyone help me. Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can remove/install printers using your web browser. Just enter localhost:631 into the location bar and follow the prompts to remove the old printer and install the new one.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    oops, after reading your post again, it appears that the new driver is not installed yet.

you might be able to decompress the file containing the driver and then move the .ppd file to the /usr/share/cups/model directory. you need root permissions to move this file to that directory. after moving the file, restart cups, then you can follow the advice given above to use the new driver with your printer.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hello Oz. I did what you did and it worked!!!! Your awesome. Just so I know next time, where are the drivers located at Linux? I got the drivers, and the were in an rpm file. I installed it, but where did it go to?