Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, as with most of the people here with problems, i'm a newbie, just installed mandrake linux yesterday on a new partition along with <whispers> "windows" <gasp>. Everything seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB modem problem

Hi guys, as with most of the people here with problems, i'm a newbie, just installed mandrake linux yesterday on a new partition along with <whispers> "windows" <gasp>. Everything seems to be working fine. A few little niggles. The main thing is my USB Motorola Surfboard modem. It works fine under linux and (did) windows. But for some reason after i use the net with linux and boot into windows, the modem stops working and wont connect. I have to cut the power to it to reset it everytime i wanna use it again. I want to know why this is happening and how i can stop it? is it because i'm not shutting it down properly in linux? If someone could let me know so i can solve the problem directly rather than a stopgap siolution (like running the "reset to factory settings" program everytime i start windows")

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Plus, anyone know of a good partitioner for linux like partition magic? I wanna increase the size of my linux partition without losing data on my windows partition <forgot to whisper that name , sorry>

Linux Guru
    I'm not too sure about your modem, but as for a partitioner, I'd suggest getting a copy of a Linux LiveCD, such as Knoppix. You can boot from the CD, mount your hard drive and use whatever tools are available in the Live Distro you choose. I know Knoppix uses QTPartd, a PM clone.

Good Luck!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

>> http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/

Try Re-Installing Windows Drivers Because When My Redhat Installation Broke, I Had To Reinstall Everything All Over Again..... Mandrake Shouldn't Do That.... It's My Favourite Distro

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

SurfBoard

Oy dudes,
    I have a problem with me Motorola Surfboard, well basicly with all me USB devices under Suse 9.1 Live.

Only on one ocasion did i get them all working (dont ask me how, just rebooted till they started working), and i've had no luck since then.

I have an USB mouse, printer, modem and sound card. From what i can tell, none of them is working. Anyone have a clue?

Linux Guru
    You'll likely get a better response starting a new thread in the Suse section.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude