Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a usb card reader I use [in other distros at this point] to download digital photos. For some reason it doesn't work in Mandriva. If I just plug ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Card reader doesn't work in Mandriva.

I have a usb card reader I use [in other distros at this point] to download digital photos. For some reason it doesn't work in Mandriva. If I just plug it in a dialog box opens:

A new medium has been detected.
    What do you want to do?

Medium type:Unmounted removable medium

Open in new window
    Download photos with DigiKam
    Do nothing

If I select the 1st option Konqueror opens with location 'system:/media/sdc1' and an error box that says 'Permissions denied'. Why? I don't want permissions denied. How do I set permissions allowed so it will open and download my photos? How to correct?

I did try chmod 777 /dev/sdc and /dev/sdc1 and that didn't help.

If I select 2nd option DigiKam opens but no photos are opened to be downloaded. No error message either??? How do I download photos from usb card reader to DigiKam in Mandriva. In other distros I just plug it in and it just works. Is this also a permissions problem? How to Correct???

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The card reader appears to work, but udev is messing up the permissions. You could try setting up a udev rule for /dev/sdc1. The permissions should probably be 0666 or something similar.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    The card reader appears to work, but udev is messing up the permissions. You could try setting up a udev rule for /dev/sdc1. The permissions should probably be 0666 or something similar.
    How do I set a udev rule for /dev/sdc1? chmod ain't enough? I guess this means I don't know how to configure udev. Never came up before.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Udev rules should go into /etc/udev/rules.d. You can use some of the existing rules as a template to get you started. Take a look at this article and this one for help on writing udev rules.