Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All. From time to time I experience strange kind of problem in mdk. After several hours of work, it refuses to launch new programs - no matter if command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Strange kind of freeze.

Hello All.

From time to time I experience strange kind of problem in mdk. After several hours of work, it refuses to launch new programs - no matter if command line based or GUIs. It's not because the system is overloaded.

I'm using Mandrake 10.0 with supplied 2.6.3-7 kernel. The CPU is Athlon XP 1600+ on a K7S5 motherboard.

Any help will be appreciated.

Its likely you have a cooling problem, find a cpu tempature monitoring program and see if it steadly goes up, also make sure that nothing is blocking airflow. And finaly, crack the case, if youve had this computer a littel while, you might have crap caked in the cup cooling system, dust them off along with other components that might be overcrudded. (I recommend an airduster or something, jsut be carful not to damage anything)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    qub333 is right..it's a problem with the temperatures of your system (cpu mainly).athlon is famous about increased temperature's ..
    put more fans or open the case ...
    Linux For Ever!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Don't leave the case open during runs, most cooling systems fail to move air over the cpu if you dont keep the case closed, you could cause damage to teh CPU by doing that.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    i don't think so...i have an athlon too and when i open the case the temp is decreasing ..i don't think that it's a risk..
    Linux For Ever!

Its not about the Processor, the case design is an important factor in this, for example, the IBM Xserver has a disclamer that if you leave the case open, or even a hotswappable bay open for more than 15 min you are liable for overheats (granted, its a multiprocessor system) but still, in general it can help, but most of the time the computer manufactuer knows enough to built a computer that wont overheat unless you were to add some extrodinary PCI cards in. Not saying taking the cover off might not help, but on the same note, if a case is very large, they count on the (relativly) air tight system to move the air thorough the case with fans only on the end.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    Thanks for your assistance , I'll install temperature monitor and experiment a little with case open, closed.