Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux and I have a problem with my grub from root partition which is where I installed Mandriva. My laptop already has an existing primary XP installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble with loadding Mandriva2008.1spring Ed.

I'm new to linux and I have a problem with my grub from root partition which is where I installed Mandriva.

My laptop already has an existing primary XP installed partition being managed by the MBR so I figured when the question to install in Mandriva to MBR or root partition came up, I chose the latter.

I'm kinda out of ideas of as to how I'm supposed to boot into Mandriva without writing over the MBR with Grub.

Any suggestion would be greatly helpful.

I do apologize if this problem was already looked into, if so kindly direct me to the page.
    ps I lack any info in linux other than what I picked up for 2 weeks trying to get this working.
    -matt
    Last edited by matt-persian; 05-24-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: unclear problem

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Install GRUB to the MBR and you should be given a chance to add Windows to the GRUB start menu so that you can choose to start Linux or Windows at system startup.
    oz

Just Joined!
    There is an alternative to using grub. Before you consider this you must realize what path you want to take. I whole heartedly recommend grub, but if you for some personal reasons prefer not to use it, I now present you with an alternative. This alternative is a bit messy, and you have a BIG risk of messing up (rendering your system non-bootable), so please think twice.

Now with all the warnings out of the way. There is a program called bootpart
    BootPart
    I have used that in the past to use the windows bootloader to boot linux. It is a neat little tool that lets you get the necessary bits from the first partition (the boot information) and write it to a file that the windows bootloader can read. There really is no reason to do this, but as I said you may have some reason to do this and here is a way. Just make sure you have backups and read the information properly (and thoroughly). Good luck!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Let me explain my problem in detail
    I have an 80gb hardrive which I have partitioned into 4
    Primary parition XP 20gb NTFS filesystem
    Linux Mandriva free 2008.1 spring 20gb EXT3 filesystem
    linux Swap partition 1gb
    Remaining Unallocated presently

Now about the installation of Mandriva2008.1, this went smoothly
    accept I think it was partly corrupted, error ntfs-3g not found but no matter my partitons were already created so chose existing partition to be installed in. Till here fine Now when it gave me the option to write grub into MBR or write in root partition, I chose the latter. But now it seems that I possess not enough knowledge to bootloading Grub with NTLDR.
    1. I don't have a floppy drive to save bootload to diskette.
    I've tried GAG, XOSL, and come out with no success.

I'll try BootPart as you suggested.

Do help m figure this out if u have any ideas
    Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    The best option, in my opinion, is to install GRUB to the MBR.

Either way, hope it works out well for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I agree with ozar.
    run grub! It can boot BOTH windows AND linux without a problem! There is NO reason not to run grub! It does EVERYTHING you can do with bootpart, only better and nicer!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daik View Post
    I agree with ozar.
    run grub! It can boot BOTH windows AND linux without a problem! There is NO reason not to run grub! It does EVERYTHING you can do with bootpart, only better and nicer!
    I guess I'll try it but most forums I've visited say that it is better to leave the MBR as it is and grub in root partition of mandriva and instead use NTLDR to load . This kinda where I really could use some help

Follow instructions from here to setup dual boot using Window Boot Loader.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Here are a couple of howtos for using the windows bootloader to boot linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...g-windows.html

How to dual-boot Windows NT/2000/XP and Linux using NTLDR

I think you'll find using GRUB the much easier and better route. I've installed GRUB to the MBR probably around 1,000 times over the last 8 years and have never had a failure yet.

Best of luck with the windows loader should you go that route.

Edit: that casper is too fast!
    oz