Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a computer with nvidia chipset that offers sata-raid. I have configured it with raid-0 (mirror) on two drives. BUT when I tested this setup by unplugging ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Raid-0 hw or software (a bit OT)

Hi all,
    I have a computer with nvidia chipset that offers sata-raid. I have configured it with raid-0 (mirror) on two drives. BUT when I tested this setup by unplugging one drive (expecting it to go "oh! a drive is missing, oh well log a warning, and boot from the remaining mirror"). However this did not happen, the computer did not boot. So first off, does anyone have any experience with nvidia raid? Is there some way to ensure the system boots even if not all the drives in the raid is available.

Second. I am now considering setting up software raid instead, mirroring two identical drives. Would sw raid handle one drive unplugged? I have never really used sw raid in this context before. What I am after is security for my files. I am of course backing them up to a different media, but I want the convenience of hard drive access as well. The computer has two harddrives, so the system (mandriva 2008) would have to be on the raid drives as well.

Just Joined!
    raid 0 is not mirror. if you have raid 0 with two drives and you remove one, you have effectively taken half the logical drive out, therefore you cannot boot from it.

try raid 1, which is mirror.

stick with hardware raid when available. just look up those raid levels beforehand.

Just Joined!
    My bad, I have raid 1 (sorry that was a "typo" don't know why I typed 0, I have mirrored the device. I have only the size of one drives. So I have 750Gb of space not 2x750Gb space.

Just Joined!
    not sure about nvidia raid, I only have used software and hardware cards, not really much onboard stuff. try a software raid setup test. shouldn't take too long. just get a fedora install dvd and set up the raid 1 during install. then just unselect all the packages, let it install real quick, reboot, everything works, then shutdown, remove drive and boot up. who knows.