Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I want to go from windows to linux and was wondering if my system could use it. Here are my specs (btw, I will want to run kde ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New mandrake to be user (need some help)

Hi everyone,

I want to go from windows to linux and was wondering if my system could use it. Here are my specs (btw, I will want to run kde as my environment)

intel pentium II 667 mhz (alias pentium III)
    128 mb of ram
    20 gig hd (will be a dual boot with windows me)
    virtual memory 2047 mb

Will this be enough to let me run mandrake 10 using kde? and what should be a decent amount of space (in gb) to allot for mandrake, to let windows me (fat32 file system) and mandrake 10 coexist peacefully?

What parition software does mandrake use, and do I have to create a parition beforehand, or in mandrake installer?

I have no ethernet ports on my computer. I use an dsl speedstream 5200 usb modem. Will this work in mandrake?

ty all

Linux Engineer
    ntel pentium II 667 mhz (alias pentium III)
    128 mb of ram
    20 gig hd (will be a dual boot with windows me)
    virtual memory 2047 mb
    your system will run mandrake but there is a little problem with ram(it will slow down your system if you run a heavy process at the same time with another).maybe thats can be solved by increasing the amount of swap partition size to be 512 mb.

nd what should be a decent amount of space (in gb) to allot for mandrake, to let windows me (fat32 file system) and mandrake 10 coexist peacefully?
    you will need 4 gb maximum ,2gb minimal i think...and don't be afraid windows and mdk 10 will coexist peacefully if you install a boot loader and
    configure the partitions well for both os 's..
    What parition software does mandrake use, and do I have to create a parition beforehand, or in mandrake installer?
    i don't really know what partition software it uses but you can manage partitions either from a program from windows like partition magik or within the installation of mandrake..be careful and know what you're doing!

I have no ethernet ports on my computer. I use an dsl speedstream 5200 usb modem. Will this work in mandrake?
    i think it will work if you configure it properly inside mandrake!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    ty! I have been on #mandrake for a bit and have found out that everything is covered in the install, boot loader, parition etc.

btw, I odn't really run ram intentisive programs in me and don't plan to compile a kernel or anything, just use as a family os in replace of windows.

Linux Engineer
    go ahead then...mdk linux is known as a well distro for beginners!you won't have problems to use it at all
    Linux For Ever!