Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello What I want to be able to do is, run XP on one PC and Mandrake on another and then use the PC running XP to manipulate files on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie setting up a network questions

Hello

What I want to be able to do is, run XP on one PC and Mandrake on another and then use the PC running XP to manipulate files on the windows-NTFS partitons of the PC running Mandrake. Each PC is dual boot windows-XP and Mandrake-10.1. A USB broadband modem can be connected to either PC BUT I use the modem only via XP. The 2 PC's can be networked either directly via a crossover cable or, with non crossover cabling via a hub-or-router thingy. Currently the PC's are directly connected via the cross over cable.

Question 1) is it possible to do what I want?
    Question 2) I am not bothered about connecting to the internet via mandrake so can the presence of the modem be ignored?

Why do I want to do this? I have a lot of photos or scans etc, 14,000+, on the NTFS partition of one HDD and a complete set of backups on the NTFS partition of another HDD. There are inconsistancies between the names of the 'original' images and their backups and I wish to irradicate those inconsistancies. I have written some gawk programmes that scan the images' names and check for inconsistancies in naming. The NTFS partitions were created a while back before I thought to check for naming inconsistancies nor did I know that NTFS created a problem for linux. There are far too many photos on those NTFS partitions to convert them to FAT
    Currently I am booting to Mandrake to run the programmes with the output, list of inconsistant names, being written to a windows partition. I then reboot to XP to manipulate/correct the names.
    I am aware or believe that there is or are downloads that will allow me manipulate NTFS file names under linux but I am wary of doing that. Currently under Mandrake if attempting to rename images from a command line I recollect being refused permission, even as root, and if I attempt to rename via Konqueror I recollect seeing a warning about removing file "such and such". I am very wary of 'removing' image files, if 'lost' a lot of these images are not replacable and YES I am gradually backing up to CD as well.

If it is possible to set up such a network I am struggling to do so.

When both PC's are running XP I have a working network so it isn't a hardware issue, I assume the XP network has a name which is "Mshome" . On the XP network the PC's are named Mk3 and Mk2.

I have also, I think, note THINK, set up a network between the two PC's when they are both running Mandrake. Under mandrake, for each PC, I have gone through the "new connection" wizard in the "Mandrake control" centre as follows;

step 1) choose what I want to config = "LAN connection"
    step 2) choose the network interface = the listed named-and-described device, NOT the manual settings. On both PCs the network cards are part of the Mother board.
    step 3) Automatic IP(BOOTP/DHCP) or manual config = manual config
    step 4) set IP address etc = IP address = 192.168.0.1 or 2 depending on which PC. 1 for Mk2 and 2 for Mk3
    ..........................................netmask = 255.255.255.0 for both PC's
    .................................................. ... = start at boot for both PC's
    step 5) hostname etc
    ........................................Hostname = Mkx.Mshome.org x=1 or 2 depending on which PC
    ....................................DNS server 1 = 10.0.0.2 I think this is the same on both PC's and these numbers were generated by Mandrake, not typed by me
    ..................................search domain = Mshome.org the same on both and I think this was also generated by Mandrake

step 6) zeroconf hostname = Mk2 or Mk3 depending on which PC, though I am not sure if I have understood correctly what "zeroconf hostname" refers too
    step 7) start connection at boot? = yes
    step 8 = reboot

I am using XP on "Mk3" at the minute to type this post so I cant check it but following the above reboot of Mk2 I saw the command-line prompt-name had changed from [sean@local sean]? to "[sean@Mk2 sean]" , I assume Mk3's command line would now read [sean@Mk3 sean]

With both PC's running Mandrake if I type ping -b 192.168.0.0 I get a message indicating that x number of pkts were sent and recieved with none lost. Likewise if I ping 192.168.0.1 and ping 192.168.0.2, y pkts are sent and recieved. I have read that there should be n +2 IP addresses in a LAN, n = the number of devices on the network and in my case that equals 2, making a total of 4 addresses that should "ping" successfully. The other 2 addresses are "the network address" =? 192.168.0.0 and the "broadcast address" 192.168.0.? .

Question 3) Would I be correct in thinking I have found three of these addresses i.e. the "network address" and my two PC's?

Question 4) If so does that indicate that I have indeed set up a network between my two PC's when both are running Mandrake?

In mandrake if I ping Mk2 from Mk2 I get a successful send and recieved but I recollect that ping Mk3 fails. I am using XP on "Mk3" at the minute to type this post so I cant check that.

Question 5) If, when both PC's are running Mandrake, I have succeeded in networking Mk2 and Mk3 how do I access the files on one PC from the other PC? I dont see any mechanism by which I can do that.

However when one PC is running XP and the other PC is running Mandrake I seem to have NO network. I believe that I have to install Samba on the Mandrake OS to see or manipulate actual windows files on a networked PC but

Question 6) does Samba have to be in place to actually 'see' the PC running windows.

Question 7) what, if anything, do I have to do to the XP OS so that XP sees the PC running Mandrake?

At the minute I would take an uneducated guess that Mandrake and XP are looking for networks with different names which is why they cant find each other, would I be correct?
    I had named the "hostname" and "searh domain" as I did based on the assumption that the "Mshome" bit of Mk2.Mshome.org etc corresponds to what I had assumed XP called 'its' network which I assumed is "Mshome". I am now inclined to believe that these assumptions were wrong so what do I do?

I hope my post is understandable and thanks for any help

Just Joined!
    That was a long post, let's see if I can shed some light on this.
    1. Yes this should not be a problem. You may want to consider moving data off an NTFS partition as support for this may, or may not work in mandrake 10.1. A later version of Mandrake (and NTFS kernel module) may solve this problem as well. Putting your files on a FAT-32 partition would solve that particular issue.
    2.Yes, it should not cause any problems for you.
    3. Yes, it seems like you have successfully set up your network. If you get ping replies your network should be fine.
    4. Well, I think you have a bit of a different idea than me what a 'network' is. It seems you have both your machines connected to the same network. Having said that, it does not mean that they can do what you want them to do. THAT depends on what deamons/servers you run on the machines. Firewalling may prevent pings. I always install the ssh deamon so I can test basic connectivity using it. (Once all is established as working I often disable it again).
    5. You need to setup the mechanism for sharing files. There are 3 ways to do this. First there is ftp, this is not very good, and probably not what you want (it is more for file transfer). Second is NFS this is Linux's/Unix' native way of sharing files over a network. The third way is to use windows file sharing via samba. I would recommend using Samba in your case. You are running a pretty old Mandriva version, so I am not certain how much support you have in kde/gnome for this. In later versions you can just type smb://IP-OF-MACHINE/SHARENAME and you get prompted for username/password and then have access to do what you want.
    6. Depends on your definition of 'see'. To see files shared by your windows machine, YES, to be able to send a ping, access a webserver running on the windows machine, no. I assume you think of 'seeing' as looking for your computer using 'My Network Places' in windows, in which case you must have samba installed.
    7. Nothing, as long as they are on the same network (i.e pinging works from mandriva->xp and vice versa). Your mandriva machine must be configured as a samba server. There are plenty of tutorials for this online (I have none at hand, sorry). It is not very difficult.

Yes your assumptions were wrong. The windows network has nothing to do with 'search domain' (which you actually have in windows as well). What you need to do is set up your mandriva box to have the same work group name as the windows host. To avoid all this you can of course just use your windows explorer and type \\IP-OF-LINUX-BOX\ in the addressbar and it will try to connect to it. You must have samba up and running to make this work of course.
    I hope I shed some light or at least gave you a bit of information to give you an idea of what to do.

Just Joined!
    Thanks I'll have to digest what you have written but as of yesterday it became less needed, the mo bo of my older PC "Mk2" decided it would die. I thought I had found a 'repalcement' in the attic but it isnt reliable so for the moment the network isnt so 'urgent'. I dont want to move the stuff off the NTFS partitions as the photos amount to about 40Gs worth on each and I havent the HDDs to move that to.
    I have Samba, 3.something via mandrake 10 but it wont/wouldnt see the XP machine because it couldnt find it by name.

Which leaves me back at, I think, sorting out what "name" corresponds to what "term" in which OS and then sorting out the DNS side of things.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    smb://IP-OF-MACHINE/SHARENAME and \\IP-OF-LINUX-BOX\

BINGO.

The most confusing bit for me is/was working out what "name or label" corresponds to what desired-thing in each OS and then where to change things in Linux. .

Anyway on the mandrake machine I have just browsed the contents of one partition on a HDD in the widows machine.

Sorted many thanks.

Just Joined!
    If you want to make use of name browsing you need to set up your windows network properly. Samba should in general be domain master, meaning it will hold all the names (like the dns server does for the rest of the world). You specify what 'workgroup' and the 'machine name' in your samba config file. There is usually an entry already there for that.

Of course, you can continue to just browse them using IP (skipping the name resolution altogether)

Just Joined!
    I think I have it now, I can find and look at folders on the XP PC via names only eg smb://Mk1a-whitehouse/max1-p2-blue lets me look at the second partition on the primary master, maxtor 20G, in the box with the blue USB hub glued to the top of it. That being the other PC