Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sometimes I make use of the search tool available in gnome. Thing is, I do not use it oten enough to make me want to have an index on disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Graphical search tool, how do I configure it?

Sometimes I make use of the search tool available in gnome. Thing is, I do not use it oten enough to make me want to have an index on disk (or take the performance impact of indexing, how minute it may seem to be). When I search I want a nice clean interface and I want to specify where it should start looking (a starting directory) and what to look for (part of filename, contents (string) or similar). In my previous installation (2007.0 free edition) I had just this. In my new installation (2008.1 power pack) it wants to use the indexed search service. So my question is, how can I get my plain old (slow) file search back? Do I need to replace rpms, or is it a simple configuration issue? Any ideas are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by daik View Post
    Any ideas are appreciated!
    Hi daik. Possibly now's the time to shed the front end altogether and go very lean and clean by doing searches from the command line. It's so easy and you can really tweak your search preferences which it appears you are wanting to do. A basic search, (which might take five seconds) is just opening a terminal and doing "locate." As an example:
    Code:
    dapper$ locate libjavaplugin
    /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_06/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_jni.so
    /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_06/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_nscp.so
    /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_06/lib/i386/libjavaplugin_nscp_gcc29.so
    /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    dapper$
    You'll have a wide range of options at your disposal. To see them, do:
    Code:
    locate -h
    I stopped using the "gui" search apps in Linux years ago and have never looked back. Things might have changed, but to me, they always felt cumbersome and unnecessary. Given what you seem to be looking for, this may be an option to consider.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    locate unfortunatly is also making use of an index. So locate would do me no good, I have tried locate a few years back, but unfortunatly it is not doing the trick for my searches.
    Right now I am using find with various parameters and piping, but it is turning into a real pain, and in my previous mandriva 2007 installation it let me pick and choose my options without having to resort to 'man find' and spending time trying to figure out what parameters I need to pass. So my question remains, can I get the nice gui for searching back? I think it is the one presented in mandriva 2008.1 one (when running from the live CD). So there must be some way of telling it not to use indexed information but rather use "raw file search"

Just Joined!
    AH!
    I found it!
    It seems that having beagle, beagle-gui and kerry installed causes this behaviour. As I did not want either of them, I uninstalled the three, and now I have my normal, nice graphical frontend for 'find'. So there you go folks, if you don't want the indexed service, uninstall beagle.