Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello: I see a temperature reported for the CPU of 40 deg C in KDE System Guard. It never fluctuates. Upon boot-up, In BIOS, I see 32 - 38 deg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] CPU core temperature report never fluctuates in KDE System Guard

Hello:
    I see a temperature reported for the CPU of 40 deg C in KDE System Guard. It never fluctuates. Upon boot-up, In BIOS, I see 32 - 38 deg C, never above 40 deg C. Other installations on other machines report fluctuations (32 bit kbuntu, fedora core5, etc.) I have the resolution set for very very close to 40 deg C (39.9999 deg C and +40.0001 deg C) yet see NO fluctuaton. Seems either stuck or rock solid at 40 deg C.

My question is: is the CPU, MB, cooler, working wonderfully or is there a known issue? I might get a heatgun or can of chiller, but thought I'd ask here, first. I don't want to pull the fan connection off, yet either. Thanks for any help.

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard,

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz CPU,

XIGMATEK HDT-D1264 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler,

installation is 64 bit mandriva powerpack, 2008 edition

thanks.

Just Joined!

Update:

Hello again:

I have been mildly working for the last six hours or so, browsing, doing word processing (mild) checking email; I smelled a bit of component heat or maybe it was my imagination, the monitor is hot, could be that, but there was a bit from the box with my nose on it, so I checked graphic core temp and it was 59 deg C. Re-checked KDE System Guard report, rock solid (stuck?) at 40 deg C.

I restarted and went to BIOS and saw CPU temp at 49 deg C and falling. It sat there a few deg lower for a bit, maybe five minutes, I did not see any change after that, so I shutdown and hooked up a (preinstalled) case fan that sucks air our across the CPU cooler fins through the rear of the case. (Case is mid-tower, with a case fan sucking on the front bottom, the PSU up rear top, the newly hooked up fan a bit below the PSU blowing out the near-top rear.)

The air from it is warm, near hot.

Ambient is and has been for the past six or so hours near 21 deg C.

During reboot, at BIOS, temp fluctuated for five min or so. Just a few degrees, but fluctuated. In KDE System Guard no change to the resolution specified earlier which seems suspect.

Maybe the report from KDE System Guard is not correct?

I see no fluctuation, even at the high resolution as stated in my earlier post. Tomorrow I will get a heat gun and some compressed air-type cooler and figure this out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

EVF720 Gateway monitor, 1024 x 768

PNY VCQFX570-PCIE-PB Quadro FX570 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card,

ZALMAN ZM600-HP Continuous 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply,

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard,

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz CPU,

XIGMATEK HDT-D1264 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler,

installation is 64 bit mandriva powerpack, 2008 edition

thanks.

I had similar symptoms myself with an ASUS board. I was fixed at 40 degrees too...though in my case evidence was that that was likely the right temperature. I would recommend installing lm_sensors, it has a far better and more detailed report. It is most likely in your urpmi sources so try installing it through the control centre. Post back and let us know if you are unsure or even just if you have success with it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

question answered: report from KDE System Guard is not correct

Bigtomrodney:

Thanks, installed lm_sensors; output as follows:

k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:
    +26°C
    Core1 Temp:
    +35°C

fluctuates a bit, so I know it is a live reading:

k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:
    +25°C
    Core1 Temp:
    +34°C

The conclusion is that the report from KDE System Guard is not correct. Question answered.

I suppose next step is to write a report to Asus and the KDE development team via bugs.kde.org. Bigtom, would you have any data to add before I write the report?

Is it unusual for the core temps to be 10 deg C apart? I suppose the geometry of the chip and placement of the sensor(s) or their geographical location on the chip would require some difference to appear for each core but is that 10 deg C something to be concerned with? In deg F that is:
    Core0 Temp:
    +79°F
    Core1 Temp:
    +95°F

Seems pretty cool to me. Ambient is about the same as the other night, 21 deg C. That's roughly 5 for the 0 and 15 deg C for the 1 core above ambient.

One last thought, I do not know where kde system guard is looking to grab that temp. I suspect that it is not the core temp because there should be two reports but maybe it is seeing mb temp or something else. I'll try to figure it out and update this thread as soon as I do, so I'll keep the thread open for a while longer unless moderators think otherwise.

thanks,
    Last edited by jrice; 06-14-2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: one last thought

Just Joined!

marking this 'solved'

Hello:

Have not had much luck figuring out the extraneous stuff, but the main question is answered and the answer is:

KDE System Guard reports 40 deg C which is incorrect and never varies. LM_sensors ($sensors) report seems correct, varies with load and ambient temperature.

solved.

thanks

-jrice