Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm just getting into Linux. I had purchased a Mandrake 9.1 distro from Mandrake over a year ago- (the full development pack in error- thought I needed it), and just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GOLLY GEE! DON'T DO THAT!

I'm just getting into Linux. I had purchased a Mandrake 9.1 distro from Mandrake over a year ago- (the full development pack in error- thought I needed it), and just recently got the time to put it on an unused machine, a Dell 300 mhz w/256 meg ram that had a dying version of W-98. Did my first and second install within 2 hours of each other. First went OK but I set the resolution too small. Went to fix it and the system locked up, 4 times. Re-install went ok, I think.
    I know a lot of water has gone over the dam in the last year or so therefore I think I should modernize w/a more current version.

As I see my options I can move to 9.2, to 10.0 or stay where I am. I think that I can probably go to a download site and trim up the 9.1. Maybe? I have just enough knowledge to probably really screw something up so I am hesitant. I realize that my system is marginal and probably not really capable of doing a lot of stuff but want to get as much LINUX exposure and experience without getting frustrated too much.

I could use some advice on my choices as to distro upgrade as well as what I should and should not attempt to achieve in the available packages. I pretty much used the default install so I really don't know what else is out there, let alone how to get same into my machine.

I've spent around 15 hours looking over the forums, here and other places and learned a little bit. I could probably give some of the questioners a little advice from my own experiences but at this point need the advice of the more experienced.

Any advice or other thoughts gladly accepted and appreciated.

Linux Guru
    First of all, I would get 10.0 for sure... I personally think it's better then 9.2.

300 MHz isn't much, I would stay away from heavey, bloated window managers like Gnome and KDE and stick with somthing a little simpler.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

you might consider a smaller lighter and faster distro, like YOPER. It is the fastest i have ever seen, even toping my gentoo machine. You chice, but its a one CD dl and has the apt-get package managment system.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, I kinda wasn't totally honest. I had ordered the Mandrake 10.0 and it's sitting rightt here. Things are going ok with 9.1, I think. Maybe I should just sit here with my 9.1 and not be greedy. I hear all sorts of horror stories about crashes and freeze-ups and I'm kinda realistic about computing. I have programmed in Apple basic., RPG3, PASCAL, and even some Redmond Willy, done beaucoup hours of line by line de-bugging and really don't see that as my future. Maybe I should be greatful for little favors? What's in it for me to go to the next hill? Is booting up 10.0 all that better than 9.1?

I am enthused with the concept of open source otherwise I wouldn't be here. Somebody please give me an argument for tilting at windmills(Big Bad Bill)!. I will definately appreciate any and all comments!

the majoir imporovement you will see if te 2.9 kernel, there are a slew of security and performace updates. Along with compatability for many of the newer servers. if you are fine where you are, then no one is gonna force you, but if you have such computer credentials, then nothing that 10 throws your way is going to cause any problems.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I checked out YOPER- This Bad Boy is really new! I wasn't too encouraged by the review I read but it looks like a player nonetheless. Speed of loading a plus- I really have to find some kind of objective analysis of the pros & cons of the major distros.

I checked out the DistroWatch site and have it bookmarked. Nice to have something like this available. The problem I have is that I'm like in a new restaurant with 42 entrees and want to get the right dish!

It would be interesting to me (and probably a lot of others) as to why everybody feels that their favorite distro is more to their liking than "X" or whatever.

Looking forward to further responses and- Thanks to all so far

It's pure personal taste.
    You try some and stick to the one you like.
    I started with Slackware v1.
    All my servers run Slack, the workstations Fedora Core.
    Personaly: None is better then the other, they are all based on the same kernel.
    It's the 'extras' that do the trick.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Im installing mandrake 10.0 as we speak

Just Joined!
    Hi, Goliath-
    It's been a week. How did you make out? can we get a report?
    What were you installing M10 onto?

Hey, just a note, The Content team will be posting the inaugeration to LFDO's review section, there will be a review of Yoper included should you want to check it out, the new verison 2.1 has had some serious updates.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast