Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Realtek 8139/810 family fast ethernet adapter which works fine in windows but my mandriva 2006 doesnot detect it so i cant set up the network. what do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Linux does not detect lan card

I have a Realtek 8139/810 family fast ethernet adapter which works fine in windows but my mandriva 2006 doesnot detect it so i cant set up the network. what do i do?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Run a terminal and enter the commands
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep -i net
    Post back the output.

Just Joined!

Exclamation ethernet adapter still not detected

i tried that on the console but it returned /sbin/lspci No such file or directory.
    Plus i booted with the mandriva installation cd and typed linux noapic. Then i chose "upgrade" and a dialog box came up with options to configure things, one of which was "Network Not configured".
    I clicked configure and chose lan. But it didn't show my lan adapter, instead it only showed "manually load a driver".
    when i chose next, everything closed and a screen appeared with a list of things and "Now you can turn off or reboot your computer." at the bottom.

Can you please give me some idea what to do. Should i try some other distro?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You need to install the pciutils package in order to run the lspci command. If you installed using the Mandriva dvd, you should be able to install using the software management tools.

Just Joined!

Exclamation

i couldn't find the software management tools, but i tried this line on the conosle:
    lspci | grep -i net
    The output was:
    01:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. : Unknown device 8136 (rev 01)

What could this mean? Can you please give some clues.

Hi.

The output shows that Mandriva is not correctly identifying your device. From articles that I have seen on google, appears that Mandriva versions prior to 2007.1 (and some other Linux distros) had problems with your particular network card. Some solved it by recompiling the kernel and others upgraded to newer versions of their distro.