Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am a first time poster, and first time Linux user and I need to set up a Mandrake 10.0 machine with a variety of services. One of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to configure DNS Server in Mandrake 10.0?

Hello everyone, I am a first time poster, and first time Linux user and I need to set up a Mandrake 10.0 machine with a variety of services.

One of these is a DNS Server.

Can anyone give me a good place to start to learn how to do this - ie is there any graphical interfaces available for this or will I need to learn how to do it from the command line?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dane

Just Joined!
    You have several options. Be aware that dns servers are advertised as a security risk.

You can run either bind or djbdns. I find djbdns a bit harder to initially set up, but after that it is fine. Neither are that hard. For bind on mandrake 10 it is very simple...

1) Go to 'configure your computer' (control centre) -> software management -> install and add 'bind' and 'caching-nameserver'. It will either try to get them off of the install cds or via the web, depending upon the sources you have configured.

2) Then go to control centre->system->services and check the start at boot for 'named' (and start it with the button).

3) Then go to control centre->security->firewall and check the 'domain name server' box to allow the dns queries into your server.

4) On the clients you are serving, put 'nameserver your-server-ip' in /etc/resolv.conf

Done.