Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey. I'm pretty new to linux in general, and i've played around with suse, ubuntu, and fedora. I was wondering, for strictly desktop purposes only, is Mandriva good? Does it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opinion about Mandriva

Hey. I'm pretty new to linux in general, and i've played around with suse, ubuntu, and fedora. I was wondering, for strictly desktop purposes only, is Mandriva good? Does it have good GUI interface, eye candy, powerful, etc...?

just a simple, yet helpful response would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost202 View Post
    Hey. I'm pretty new to linux in general, and i've played around with suse, ubuntu, and fedora. I was wondering, for strictly desktop purposes only, is Mandriva good? Does it have good GUI interface, eye candy, powerful, etc...?

thanks!
    Mandriva is good for desktop and server, you make the right decision to choose Mandriva for your desktop purpose.

Yes you're right, Mandriva had a wonderful GUI (more than another distribution, i think),
    work for many hardware and peripherals,
    and easy to setup and maintain

As you know, Mandriva is the first linux distribution i had,
    but now i am trying to install Ubuntu hehehe

Go get Mandriva!!!

Hello - it works for me, and I love using Mandriva on the desktop. Earlier releases tended to be buggy, but these later ones (I'm using 2007.1) are very stable, and I have no problems.

Experiences of distros differ between users because of variations in hardware, perceptions etc., but it's worth checking out. The package management system works very well (essential in any distro). I don't use any of the 3D desktop features, but I haven't changed distros for ages. Good luck!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

think its great also easy to use

I used Mandriva for a while. It was very buggy back then, but as fingal says it's better now. It's a very polished distro, and the only rpm one that I actually ever liked. Setting up your repositories is a breeze and the number of software available through them is huge. My only major gripe is that it's a bit on the heavy-side, so it's slower than Debian, Slackware etc; but if you have a new machine, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Linux Engineer
    First used Mandriva when it was Mandrake back at V8. Been a favourite distro of mine for years. Unfotunately it's always been pipped at the post for functionality on my laptop by Ubuntu based distros. If it wasn't for them I'd put more effort into getting it working with my hardware.

Go for Mandrake though, you won't be disappointed.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost202 View Post

thanks!
    It WORKS! Use it to find out for yourself. I'm one of the satisfied Mandriva user.