Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just acquired the mandrake 10 iso set from linuxiso.org and installed it in my old dell laptop. Glad to say it all runs fine (unlike suse 9.1, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mnadrake seem slim... (am noob)

I have just acquired the mandrake 10 iso set from linuxiso.org and installed it in my old dell laptop. Glad to say it all runs fine (unlike suse 9.1, which had issues with my screen), but after delving into the menus- I find that the included programs are quite sparce, that is to say, when i tried knoppix 3.2 live cd, there was a whole lot more on offer. Now I'm wondering why? After all, knoppix is only one cd, admittedly, it is 1700 odd meg of program files, but i did assume that mandrake, as a 3 cd set, would at least match it for diversity.
    Are there packages on the cds that were not included in the standard installation?

Any thoughts or advice?

Re: Mnadrake seem slim... (am noob)

Quote Originally Posted by oryx
    I have just acquired the mandrake 10 iso set from linuxiso.org and installed it in my old dell laptop. Glad to say it all runs fine (unlike suse 9.1, which had issues with my screen).
    It's interesting how software can be so fickle sometimes. I had just the opposite experience; SuSE 9.1 gave me X Windows running by default, but Mandrake 10.0 gave me nothing.

Are there packages on the cds that were not included in the standard installation?
    Bingo. The basic install is just under 2GB last time I checked, and although you get a lot, there are a lot more packages available on the other CDs. You should be able to install from them using the Mandrake Control Center.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Excellent! Thanks v. much for that.
    Yeah your'e right about fracticious software, i once had a windows distro that would install and have some bug each time, but always a different bug!
    Then there was red hat 7, which refused to recognise the 3rd cd in it's own 3 cd set, and only found my mouse half the time!