Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Code: I think you meant Xandros in the title of the above entry... Yes I did, sorry, my bad....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Code:
    I think you meant Xandros in the title of the above entry...
    Yes I did, sorry, my bad.

This is the message I got when I attempted to use "chainloader" method of booting Xandros:

root (hd0,7)
    filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
    chainloader (hd0,7) +1

Error 1: Filename must either be an absolute pathname or blocklist

Press any key to continue...

If it is not against this forum's rules, I'm going to ask about this issue on the forums.xandros.com site, and possibly at mandriva.com, if there's a forum over there.

Is that okay? (It is not considered cross-posting, is it?)

thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    We do not allow duplicate posts or threads here only and asking same question in other forum like Xandros.com is not a problem. It is not considered as cross-posting.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I think I may have corrupted the Xandros system because it's Reiser but I have booted my computer in Ubuntu after I installed Xandros, and Ubuntu's /etc/fstab said ext3 for the Xandros partition. If I opened the files at that mount point, using the wrong partition type, would it mess up Xandros?

I'm going to start over again, but install things in a different order. I'm going to leave Vista alone. Previously I installed Ubuntu, Xandros, Mandriva. New order? I'm going to guess: Xandros, Mandriva, Ubuntu. Or maybe Mandriva, Xandros, Ubuntu. This is more difficult than I thought. Maybe I'll just install Ubuntu and Xandros and give up on Mandriva. But considering it is my current boot loader, I can't simply reformat that partition - installation of a newer system would need to replace it with its own boot loader, which the linux os installation disks usually do.

Smile Successful via a different strategy than I originally intended

I think the important thing about the order of installation is Vista first, then Ubuntu/Mandriva in either order, and Xandros last. Perhaps Ubuntu could've been installed last, i.e. if it would've recognized Xandros. Mandriva last definitely wasn't working for me.

Here's what I did:

I re-installed Mandriva. This time, I had Mandriva use a LILO bootloader. Then I tested. I was able to boot Mandriva and Windows. (I told it to remove Ubuntu because I wasn't sure at that point if I was going to reinstall Ubuntu; Mandriva installation had already ignored Xandros).

After I tested booting Mandriva and Windows from the newly installed Mandriva LILO bootloader, I re-installed Xandros. Xandros creates a graphical LILO bootloader. It has almost all the choices I need in it.

I tested booting Xandros, Ubuntu, Vista. No problems. Tested "safe" graphical mode and config mode. An error flew past on the screen too fast to write down, but these two booted into Xandros as well.

Minor problem booting Mandriva: it failed when I attempted to boot it. Problem with sda8 (reiserfs for Xandros) partition in the Mandriva fstab. UUID not recognized. I used vi (crash course!) while in su (root) single user mode. I think I replaced the UUID string with /dev/sda8, and I've successfully booted into Mandriva as well now.

I did not reinstall Ubuntu or Vista because I think that everything is working well enough, with the exception of
    a) not being able to boot windows recovery partition (yet) and
    b) fstabs are probably not 100% correct for all 3 Linuxes -- I'm working on it, thanks for all your suggestions here at linuxforms, mostly from yancek and devil's casper.

For now, I'm sticking with Xandros' bootloader (LILO). Let's hope everything continues to work smoothly. I suppose now I'll have to learn a bit about how LILO works. Just when I was getting the hang of grub stanzas.

Thanks, devil's casper & yancek, for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2