Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi folks, I would be grateful for your assistance with multi-bootloading config issue, please. I installed Mandriva last, after I installed Vista, Ubuntu, and Xandros. I selected graphical Grub as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question [SOLVED] How do I fix Xandros entry in Mandriva's menu.lst file?

Hi folks, I would be grateful for your assistance with multi-bootloading config issue, please.

I installed Mandriva last, after I installed Vista, Ubuntu, and Xandros. I selected graphical Grub as the boot loader during the Mandriva installation process.

menu.lst in Mandriva contains this entry, which fails to boot Xandros
    Code:
    title Xandros
    kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.4-desktop586-1mnb BOOT_IMAGE=Xandros root=UUID=862cf791-4589-41fb-bc2e-436689e6327f 
    initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img
    When I installed Xandros, it didn't give me a choice to use Grub. It used Lilo.

I'm pretty sure Vista is on sda1, Ubuntu is on sda7, Xandros is on sda8, and Mandriva is on sda9

Here's Mandriva's entries for Mandriva:
    Code:
    title Mandriva One (sda9, resume=sda6, 800x600)
    kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva_One_(sda9,_resume=sda6 root=UUID=862cf791-4589-41fb-bc2e-436689e6327f  resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent vga=788

title Mandriva One - failsafe
    kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva_One_-_failsafe root=UUID=862cf791-4589-41fb-bc2e-436689e6327f  failsafe
    Here's the original Mandriva-generated entry for Ubuntu, which worked, but I have since updated so that Ubuntu boots directly instead of from its Grub menu:
    Code:
    title Ubuntu 8.04.1 
    root (hd0,6)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    What changes do I need to make to be able to boot Xandros again?

thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    If your Xandros is on sda8, you need to change the entry for Xandros in the Mandriva menu.lst to (hd0,7). Look at you menu.lst, you have the same partition selected for Mandriva and Xandros: so if Mandriva boots with that entry, you need to change the entry for Xandros as indicated above.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    If your Xandros is on sda8, you need to change the entry for Xandros in the Mandriva menu.lst to (hd0,7). Look at you menu.lst, you have the same partition selected for Mandriva and Xandros: so if Mandriva boots with that entry, you need to change the entry for Xandros as indicated above.
    I changed the 8 to a 7. It didn't work. It complained that the file wasn't found. How do I figure out the correct name of the 2 files (vmlinux and initrd)?

Would Xandros care about whether it is booted from grub or lilo?

Do I need to look at the lilo config files on the partition where Xandros resides to figure out the file names for menu.lst, and also for which command line parameters to pass to the invocation of vmlinuz? If so, which LILO files will tell me what I need to know?

T.I.A.

Mount partition of Xandros in Mandriva and post the name of all files stored in its /boot folder. Post the contents of /etc/fstab file of Xandros.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Here's the list of files in the /boot folder for Xandros:
    Code:
    total 2734
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     368 2008-07-28 17:37 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root     560 2008-07-28 13:35 ../
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root     512 2008-07-28 13:34 boot.0800
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root     512 2008-07-28 13:34 boot.0808
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   68982 2006-10-18 13:06 config-2.6.18-dcc-smp
    -rw-r--rw-  1 root root  379602 2008-07-28 17:37 initrd-2.6.18-dcc-smp.gz
    -rw-------  1 root root   50688 2008-07-28 17:37 map
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   24038 2006-08-23 14:56 splash.lilo
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      25 2008-07-28 13:32 System.map -> System.map-2.6.18-dcc-smp
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  837663 2006-10-18 13:06 System.map-2.6.18-dcc-smp
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1417594 2006-10-18 13:06 vmlinuz-2.6.18-dcc-smp
    Here's the /etc/fstab contents for Xandros:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab -- static file system information
    # auto generation: on
    # generated by: /sbin/etcdev2fstab
    # 
    # NOTE: to make this file readable, it has been formatted for 132 columns
    # 
    #<device>                              <mountpoint>      <fstype>  <options>                                       <dbg> <pass>
    /dev/sda8                               /                 reiserfs  rw,usrquota,grpquota                            0     0
    /dev/sda1                               /disks/C     ufsd  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,nouser,async,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/sda2                               /disks/D     ufsd  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,nouser,async,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
    /dev/sda5                               /disks/E         vfat   rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,nouser,async,fmask=111,dmask=0 0   0
    /dev/sda9                               /disks/sda9       ext3      defaults                                        0     0
    /dev/sda7                               /disks/ubuntu     ext3      defaults                                        0     0
    /dev/cdroms/hda                         /media/cdrom0     iso9660   ro,nosuid,nodev,exec,user,noauto,async,unhide   0     0
    proc                                    /proc             proc      rw                                              0     0
    usbfs                                   /proc/bus/usb     usbfs     rw,devmode=0666                                 0     0
    /dev/sda6                               none              swap      sw                                              0     0
    Thanks!

Add this code in Mandriva's menu.lst file :

Code:
    title Xandros
            root (hd0,7)
            kernel    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-dcc-smp ro root=/dev/sda8
            initrd     /boot/initrd-2.6.18-dcc-smp.gz
    Save file and reboot machine. Select Xandros title in Grub Menu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Add this code in Mandriva's menu.lst file :

Code:
    title Xandros
            root (hd0,7)
            kernel    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-dcc-smp ro root=/dev/sda8
            initrd     /boot/initrd-2.6.18-dcc-smp.gz
    Save file and reboot machine. Select Xandros title in Grub Menu.
    no luck

When I attempted to use that entry, I got a lot of text flying by, but it finally ended with this:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda8" or unknown - block (0,0)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block(0,0)

I hate to suggest this, but would it make sense for me to re-install Xandros and let the Xandros installation process find Ubuntu, Vista, and Mandriva, and use its LILO boot-loader from this point forward?

(I don't know enough yet to prefer Grub versus LILO, but I think Grub is newer and more flexible). I have not done anything in the Xandros system, so there's no data or configurations or preferences to lose if I were to re-install it.

It just doesn't seem fair - it seems like Xandros is less flexible and not as good as Ubuntu and Mandriva...

(It's the non-free one, Desktop Pro or something like that; I didn't use it enough to even remember the name)

Anyone have any opinions on giving up and re-installing Xandros? Would it be possible afterwards to change Xandros' boot loading to Grub afterwards?

Would Vista's BCD & EasyBCD be even easier & better than either Grub or LILO? (I'm trying to create a quadruple-boot machine)

thanks. I"m sorry to be such a pain in the butt. I attempted to use support.xandros.com, but their web page doesn't display correctly for me (in FF or IE), so I'm not able to navigate their site to get help there.

Linux Guru
    Grub is easier than either vista bootloader (even with EasyBCD) or Lilo, but I guess that's a matter of opinion and what you know. You might try chainloading xandros. Change entry in Mandriva menu.lst for Xandros to:

title Ubuntu
    root (hd0,7)
    chainloader (hd0,7) +1

Have you ever been able to boot into Xandros. The method above will start with Grub in Mandriva and switch over to Xandros' Lilo. Based on the message you got, I don't think it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Grub is easier than either vista bootloader (even with EasyBCD) or Lilo, but I guess that's a matter of opinion and what you know. You might try chainloading xandros. Change entry in Mandriva menu.lst for Xandros to:

title Ubuntu
    root (hd0,7)
    chainloader (hd0,7) +1

Have you ever been able to boot into Xandros. The method above will start with Grub in Mandriva and switch over to Xandros' Lilo. Based on the message you got, I don't think it will work.
    Yes, when I first installed Xandros, I was able to boot it once or twice. I think you meant Xandros in the title of the above entry... I"ll give it a shot.

thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast